Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#10353  by neel

rode the 6046 C5 in the morning trip south today. The station names were correctly announced with matching LED displays too. But need a bigger consist than what they're putting on right now. Rode a C5 going North last night as well. GP40s pushing/pulling both times...

Are all the C1s being replaced on PVL then? or was this just a flash in the pan?
The C1s were smooth rides but some of them felt like they were going to come apart the way they rattled and knocked about under the cars... The C5 was definitely a bit smoother.
Hope they do seomthing about those sidings laid out all along PVL - trains do seem to be late more than usual.

#10360  by Irish Chieftain

The Comet Is are/were to have been temporarily retained until such time as Alstom resolved its financial issues and resumed production. Once the full Comet V order is put into service, that will mean farewell to the Pullman-Standard cars.

#10407  by Sirsonic

Actually, because the order for bi-levels was cut to 100 (instead of 200), only the sliders (Comet 1's with low doors) will be retired. The rest will remain in service for the present time.

#10414  by njt4172

Wow, maybe some of the rebuilt Comet I's will still be cooking when they get the Cutoff completed.....LOL, Steve dreaming again!

#10416  by Jtgshu

Haven't heard "sliders" in a while!! hahahha How many sliders are in service? The sliders are the 1600 and 1700's, right, while the high level C1's are the remaining 56XX's???

#10422  by DutchRailnut

<<<<its financial issues and resumed production>>>> actualy Alstom has never even slowed their production, they have been putting out about 5 cars a week.
only time delivery was in Jeopardy was when GSC stopped production of truck frames for a few weeks.

#10447  by GandyDancer

the order for bi-levels was cut to 100 (instead of 200)
Ouch. Hadn't heard about this order getting whacked. We need the seats. Did the PA reallocate the funds elsewhere or is Pataki spanking McGreevey for some reason?

#10448  by transit383

Jtgshu wrote:Haven't heard "sliders" in a while!! hahahha How many sliders are in service? The sliders are the 1600 and 1700's, right, while the high level C1's are the remaining 56XX's???
IIRC, the high level C1s are in the lower 57xx series.

#10451  by thebigc

Getting rid of the sliders? They're the best cars on the division! Typical Transit. 30+ year vets. I doubt we'll be saying the same for all this marvelous modern junk we're running now. Oh well...

#10457  by njt4172

Well, I do have my inside sources that 20 of the "sliders" as they have been dubbed will find new life on tourist lines. Also some were bought by a few private individuals.... If NJT had any class they would stick the original red stripe with the EL diamond/NJDOT logos back on them!

#10462  by transit383

Aren't sixteen of the "Sliders" going to the M&E? Personally, I would like to see two or three go to the CMSL...

#10480  by nick11a

I too have a great love for the sliders. I hate the rebuilt interiors but love the cars. These cars are really classics.