Railroad Forums 

• Putnam Division stations photos

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1385407  by Woodlands99

Hi all. I've lurked here for a while. I'm currently researching the Putnam Division (for railroad/architectural modeling purposes) and this forum has proved to be invaluable. Hopefully no-one minds posts like this being made - I have searched extensively.

There are a few stations on the Put that, despite intensive googling and USGS and Westchester county HS searching, I haven't been able to track down any information about, or pictures of, and I was wondering if anyone here could shed light. I'm hoping to make some kind of layout showing the RS3 and train working its way up the tracks past three or four stations and I'd like to do each station in sequence. So it's like (heading north):

Chauncey - couldn't find any resources
Ardsley - plenty of pictures to work from (although my stash of images took some re-working when I discovered Ardsley is not the same as Ardsley-on-Hudson)
Woodlands - found enough to show the station building in relation to the bridge and Sawmill River
Worthington - couldn't find any pictures or references, and am not sure if what's called Worthington on my map is actually Irvington?
Elmsford - plenty of useful pics of the station as Antiques store and restaurant
Beaver Hill,
East View, and
Graham - I couldn't find anything
Briarcliff Manor has plenty of info out there as it seems to be a popular piece of architecture.

Sometimes there simply are no photos - but I was wondering, especially re: Worthington or Chauncey, if anyone happens to know whether the station had a building or whether it was just a Woodlands-style open shack. That piece of info alone would be worth a lot to me!

Thanks all for reading.

Woodlands99
 #1385522  by Otto Vondrak

Woodlands99 wrote:Hi all. I've lurked here for a while.
Welcome!
I have searched extensively. There are a few stations on the Put that, despite intensive googling and USGS and Westchester county HS searching, I haven't been able to track down any information about, or pictures of, and I was wondering if anyone here could shed light.
Okay.

Three resources.

1. "The Putnam Division" by Dan Gallo and Fred Kramer. It's got at least one picture of every station. There's a copy in every library in Westchester County. Used copies on ebay and amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Putnam-Division-C ... 0915276291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. My book "Forgotten Railroads Through Westchester County." Available in many Westchester County libraries. You can purchase it directly here: http://www.nywbry.com/forgotten/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chauncey - p27 FRTW
Ardsley - p27 FRTW
Woodlands - p28 FRTW
Worthington - this was a flag stop. Irvington was a station on the Hudson Division.
Elmsford - p28 FRTW
Beaver Hill - no station, just a flag stop. p29 FRTW
East View - p30-31 FRTW
Graham - p33 FRTW
Briarcliff Manor - p34-45 FRTW

I can't find my copy of "The Putnam Division" or I would list those page numbers, too.

Third resource: Go to the Yorktown Town Museum, they have a complete exhibit and model railroad of the Putnam Division, and many photographs as well.

-otto-
 #1386311  by Otto Vondrak

I got my copy of "The Putnam Division," found more of the photos you're clooking for:

Chauncey - p61 TPD
Ardsley - p62 TPD
Woodlands - p64 TPD
Worthington - p64 TPD
Elmsford - p65 TPD
Beaver Hill - no station, just a flag stop.
East View - p66, and inside front cover PTD
Graham - p66 TPD
Briarcliff Manor - p67 TPD

Hope this helps.

-otto-