Railroad Forums 

• Putnam Division/North County Rail Trail in Mahopac

• General discussion related to Rail Trails and rail-related recreation nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails and rail-related recreation nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#31687  by Kurt

The trail is along the side of the road untiljust past the Mahopac firehouse. You have to make the right turn at the traffic light (if you are traveling north). and go almost to the Town of Carmel Town Hall. Probably about 3/4 of mile all together is on the road.

#35307  by railtrailbiker

I biked north from Yorktown Heights today and was wondering why the two bridges between Mahopac and Carmel (one over a road, the other a stream) were totally removed after the Put ceased operation.

A new trail bridge over Drewville Road has been installed, but the stream bridge replacement has been delayed due to a dispute between the County and a private landowner.

I don't believe that any of the bridges in Westchester were totally removed; the original steel work is still in place on almost all of them. What was the story in Putnam County? But, I do see the original steel still in place on the bridge over the NYC DEP Reservoir just south of Route 6 in Carmel!