Railroad Forums 

• Pushing Provia 100F

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#76006  by MikeF

Does anyone here have experience with pushing Provia 100F two stops? Do you find it's better to rate it at 320 or 400? If anyone could share scans from pushed Provia 100F I'd like to see them. Thanks!

#82771  by MEC407

I tried it once. Shot it at 400 with a +2 push. Color accuracy was stable, and the grain increase was tolerable, but it got way too contrasty for my liking.

#84167  by MikeF

Thanks for the reply. I shot a roll at 320 with a two-stop push and found too that the color balance did not shift any noticeable amount and that the grain increased only slightly. Due to the lighting I was shooting in (indoors under fluorescent lights and outdoors in snowy conditions), it's a little hard to determine the contrast increase, but it does not seem to be excessive. Perhaps that extra 1/3 stop of exposure helps keep the contrast in check.

I've only scanned one of the slides, but if anyone would like to see it, it's here. (Yes, it's a rather unimpressive shot, I know. :-) ) I'll try to shoot another roll under different conditions to get a better idea of how it reacts to pushing.

#84186  by MEC407

You're right, it's really not bad at all. I may have to try it again, at 320. Generally I'd rather shoot Kodak 400UC when I need something faster than ISO 100, but sometimes there are those situations where all you've got is a roll of 100 and there's no time to go out and buy something different.

Have you shot any Provia 400F? If so, what did you think of it? I've used it a few times and I like it a lot. I've found it to be a tad bit grainier than Kodak 400UC, but ever-so-slightly sharper, and with higher saturation.

#84420  by MikeF

I have never used Provia 400F. I very seldom need fast film, so I find it more convenient to push my regular film rather than stock fast film. But I have heard several other good reviews of 400F, so maybe I'll try a roll or two next time I put in a film order.

#84484  by MEC407

If you ever need a ton of speed, try Provia 400F pushed to 1600. It works quite well.