Railroad Forums 

• PUSH-PUll Freight Ops on the LIRR 1992

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1597185  by nyandw

A change of pace, perhaps. An observation printed in the Semaphore March, 1992 (wow 40 years ago!, yipes) about a short 4 car freight with MP15's in "push-pull" mode for ease of switching. I've checked around, but found no photos of this type of consist. (MP 153-158 short freight) Interesting a modelers delight for sure, but was this common?

Perhaps, some may comment on the locations (east of Babylon) with specific switch (trailing/facing) locations needing this arrangement? Anyone with a photos/info of this "short" type of freight?
 #1597192  by MACTRAXX

Steve - First: 1992 was **30** years ago as of 2022...Time is not flying by THAT fast :wink:

Two locomotives for switching local freight services is sometimes used for flexibility.
As a non-LIRR example Conrail used this concept on some local freight trains for the same reason
during the mentioned 1990s time period making the assigned crew's work easier...MACTRAXX
 #1597224  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:03 am Steve - First: 1992 was **30** years ago as of 2022...Time is not flying by THAT fast :wink: Two locomotives for switching local freight services is sometimes used for flexibility. As a non-LIRR example Conrail used this concept on some local freight trains for the same reason
during the mentioned 1990s time period making the assigned crew's work easier...MACTRAXX
Yes, LOL for adding a decade back to my life! I was interested as to anyone with photos/paperwork/etc. of this operation (2 engines-short freights) on the Montauk Branch specific to the Babylon-Patchogue-Speonk-Bridgehampton locations I've been working on for several years to illustrate the actual servicing of the sidings/consignees.

I've been working back from the late 1950's, for example, to develop several extended LIRR maps of this area. I'll post them over in a new topic, shortly.
 #1597406  by freightguy

I think it benefited both crews and the railroad to have smaller freights go double ended to places. For instance if the RF-30 went to the Port Jeff branch they could turn at Hunt 3(sometimes after servicing Gaylord Paper bag/American tissue). This was instead of going all the way out to Duke siding in Northport to runaround with the power upfront.

At that point in time certain things in the unions collective bargaining agreement made it more attractive to get back early verse spending the whole day switching out on the LIRR mainline branches. So it probably appeased both management and the crews to get off the the railroad earlier and tie up for the day.
 #1597408  by nyandw

I think it benefited both crews and the railroad to have smaller freights go double ended to places. For instance if the RF-30 went to the Port Jeff branch they could turn at Hunt 3(sometimes after servicing Gaylord Paper bag/American tissue). This was instead of going all the way out to Duke siding in Northport to runaround with the power upfront..../quote] Good point and that's what I'm looking for in the Babylon-Speonk scenario, thanks! :-)

I'm going to post the c.1960 plus maps for discussion in a separate topic. The first is the LIRR 1966 maps with the sidings/industries stitched together so perhaps some can comment on working freight in this area.
Last edited by nomis on Sat May 14, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fixed quote