Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#691670  by drumz0rz

They haven't really had a viable PA system until the current r142//143/160's. I don't know about you, but on the older trains, if the speaker is even loud enough for me to hear the announcement, all I hear is muffled feedback ridden uninteligable junk.
 #692399  by b&p rupture

drumz0rz wrote: I don't know about you, but on the older trains, if the speaker is even loud enough for me to hear the announcement, all I hear is muffled feedback ridden uninteligable junk.
??? I find most PAs on NYCT trains are pretty good, though there are exceptions, but usually limited to indiv cars, not the whole train, and of course the quality of the announcer is an importrant factor, also. Unless some of the "muffled feedback ridden uninteligable junk" is from the PA not being able to out do an iPod :wink:
on Apr 14 keithsy wrote:In those days, people were intelligent and literate, with common sense. It is not that way today and transit is a social service that panders to the least and the simplest. I will keep carping on this. We are slowing down the world for a few that will not come up to the level. The AMUE and the R10's did not have PA's. PA's were installed on the later in the late 70's. A conductor announced as he so pleased or not at all, but then a few major delays and people got lonely and wanted someone talking to them.
Common sense, intelligence and/or literacy aside, PAs on and off trains, are an important communications tool, which benefits all, including yourself. Delays, emergencies, reroutes, alternate means of travel, etc. etc.