Railroad Forums 

• PRSL Wildwood Loop Track

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1020457  by glennk419

I know this has probably been answered in the past but when was the Wildwood (Diamond Beach) loop track abandoned? In looking at satellite photos while I was searchinbg for a real estate listing location, I was amazed at how much of the loop is still visible. While the bridges through the marshes are gone, the ROW appears to be quite intact, right up to the point where it skirted Two Mile Landing. The last remains of what appears to be the ACRR Harbor Branch can also still be seen, in fact it is quite easy to pick out that ROW from ground level right at the entrance to Two Mile Landing off of Ocean Drive, CR 621.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=38.959759,-7 ... a&t=h&z=16
 #1020469  by JimBoylan

Others have suggested that the loop at Cold Spring Harbor was abandoned after the 1958 Summer season, and passenger service cut back to Wildwood (Oak Ave.).
 #1020471  by glennk419

Thanks Jim. I'm amazed at how much of the ROW is still visible after 50+ years. I've seen active ROW's that aren't that clear. If you zoom in, there are even still ties visible in several spots.
 #1055888  by oldrow51

I'll be down in Wildwood near the end of August and staying at a place not far from Two Mile Landing. Will try and get some ground shots of the loop. Or at least as close as I can get in the marsh.
 #1073457  by AlexC

I took a "salt marsh safari" trip today that was based out of Two Mile Landing.

We cruised up along the loop and they made mention of it, stating that the railroad would load fresh fresh to ship to Philadelphia from there.
True enough, when I looked at historical ariels & topo maps there were two spurs there as well. (see http://www.historicaerials.com )
Those spurs ran "away" from the loop, along the front of the buildings that are now the restaurant.

As in the google maps photos, some of the ties were still visible, even from on the boat.

Looks like it went in between 1925 & 1931, and by 1963, the photos looks like there are some breaks in the roadbed.