Railroad Forums 

• PRR piggyback sign in the weeds at SYR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1462675  by SST

I'm currently riding Amtrak 284 to penn station. We just left SYR. As we departed and looking out the window I saw a PRR sign laying in the dirt/water. The sign is about 300 feet east of the station platform at the bottom of the embankment. It is about 3 feet in circumference with a white background and red lettering. Didn't have time to get a picture.

I don't know if there are any scavengers in the area but I thought I'd post the possibility. It is damaged due to corrosion. Hope you find it.
 #1462678  by Matt Langworthy

I'm surprised a PRR sign is in Syracuse, because that was traditionally NYC and DL&W territory.
 #1462680  by lvrr325

This is close to me.

North side, south side? Where in relation to the switch into the first ward? By your description sounds like maybe north side opposite the switch.

A round PRR sign.. off a truck trailer maybe? However those are more like 5, 6 feet in diameter, they're larger than the tires on the trailer.

If it's where I suspect it is, it's there for a reason; retrieval requires serious trespassing plus it's laying partly in the creek so you risk falling in to get close to it.
 #1462683  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:This is close to me.

North side, south side? Where in relation to the switch into the first ward? By your description sounds like maybe north side opposite the switch.

A round PRR sign.. off a truck trailer maybe? However those are more like 5, 6 feet in diameter, they're larger than the tires on the trailer.

If it's where I suspect it is, it's there for a reason; retrieval requires serious trespassing plus it's laying partly in the creek so you risk falling in to get close to it.
Let us know when you have it safely preserved! Image

That was my thought, it's off a TOFC trailer, but after all these years I would not expect it to even be legible. A railfan prank, maybe?
 #1462693  by lvrr325

I might take a walk down in there and have a look for myself, but like I said if it's there, it's there for a reason, it's a bitch to get out, both because of the size and the location. There is no easy way to get into it.

I already ran it by someone who might know what channels to go through to get permission to take it.
 #1462725  by pumpers

After all these posts, I'd be suprised if it is still there tomorrow! (But don't look at me, I am in NJ and not going anywhere).
 #1462768  by SST

It is east of the station and on the south side of the tracks. Climb down through the trees. It's very legible which was surprising to me. I don't really like telling where items are because then they disappear. But this is down in the "ditch" and needs to be rescued. To far from home for me to bother with it. If this were to turn out to be a prank somebody has good artistic hands as the PRR symbol on the sign is perfect. I'm headed home on Saturday morning so I'll try and catch a picture when I pass thru SYR.
 #1462770  by BR&P

SST wrote: I'm headed home on Saturday morning so I'll try and catch a picture when I pass thru SYR.
I'll bet even money it's not there by then! (and no, I am trying to get rid of stuff so it won't be me that grabs it!) Image
 #1462797  by sd80mac

SST wrote:I'm currently riding Amtrak 284 to penn station. We just left SYR. As we departed and looking out the window I saw a PRR sign laying in the dirt/water. The sign is about 300 feet east of the station platform at the bottom of the embankment. It is about 3 feet in circumference with a white background and red lettering. Didn't have time to get a picture.

I don't know if there are any scavengers in the area but I thought I'd post the possibility. It is damaged due to corrosion. Hope you find it.

was it right at the switch to the spur? that's where 300' from platform is.

Googleearth shows nothing as of 4/17. Unless its underwater. Were there a lot of water in ditch when you passed by?
 #1462832  by SST

300 feet or less. I only had a few seconds to view it as we rolled out the station. I have no idea where the switch is relative to the sign. From my seat I looked straight down the embankment. No tracks or switches in view.

You won't have to cross any active tracks. Just come thru the trees and down the embankment. Part of it may have been in water. Which is why it's damaged.
 #1462855  by lvrr325

There's no easy way to get to it. You can't parade past the station with it, then you have to cross tracks, and pass whatever security the station has.

You can't sneak in behind the business or the ball park because there's a deep ditch there and I'm sure the ball park has security.

You have to walk in from somewhere around maybe Crouse Hinds. Then hope you can get down the bank without falling in the water, hope you can lift what is probably a six foot diameter sign up the bank - they're larger than the truck tires are - through at least 40 years of growth - without getting busted by CSX police or the regular police - and walk it back to the truck you're going to need to haul it in. And they work around CP 290 frequently, plus you'd have to cross the tracks there with it.

I can borrow a POS truck that wouldn't look out of place parked down there. But I don't know if even I want to try to drag the thing out.

If it's gone, it's gone, more power to you. But it's probably a two man job.

Were I to guess, it fell off from a trailer when a train was passing, or it's leftovers from a derailment. Either way it's been there minimum 40 years.
 #1462881  by SST

Why can't you walk up to security and just tell them what you want to do. Tell the truth. Maybe they'll let you maybe they won't. Years ago while the WSRR was being ripped up I approached the crew and asked for RR ties. They gave me five and even helped us load them.

Granted it's not the same as a live track..........
 #1462944  by JoeS

Did it look like this?

(NOW - this sign has been in my possession since the early 1970s and is going to either the Salamanca museum or the PA museum in Altoona, depending on my finding out who to contact at these organizations and actually wants it.)
Attachments:
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 2949 times
 #1462947  by lvrr325

In this day and age no security is going to give you permission to go in there.

I know a guy who knows some people, so I asked him about doing it through the proper channels.
 #1462950  by SST

[quote="JoeS"]Did it look like this?

(NOW - this sign has been in my possession since the early 1970s and is going to either the Salamanca museum or the PA museum in Altoona, depending on my finding out who to contact at these organizations and actually wants it.)[/quote

Yup. Pretty much. I think "Pennsylvania " is nearly missing. It was the logo PRR which finally got my attention. I just passed thru Amsterdam.