Railroad Forums 

• PRR piggyback sign in the weeds at SYR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1462962  by SST

Taking forever to get to SYR. We've stopped several times and going slow in between.

One hour later and we still haven't made it into SYR.

4:54.....He just released the brakes. We're moving again.
 #1462966  by SST

Finally in SYR. I tried to capture a picture but it came out blurry. But.....the precise location is where the spur(?) connects with the mainline track just east of the platform. You could say it's in the Y. Is this spur a live track? Can you walk it in? I don't really think this is 6 feet.

I've done my duty. The rest is up to you guys. I'm going to get a snack as we are well behind skd.
 #1462970  by lvrr325

I scouted a bit down there today. Cold Storage next to the station is posted and has security cameras. The lead that was supposed to be for the ball park shuttle is too overgrown to walk. There's some loose track material - three panels of track and some rails and pieces - stacked on top of the track where it begins to curve west, and no scrapper's ever tried to make off with it.

Same deal with the ballpark, fenced off, posted, cameras.

And again on the other side, a business in there and it's fenced off.
 #1462985  by SST

Viewing that trackage while we rolled past it looked absolutely clear and in use. How far does that overgrowth reach as it curves left to the mainline?
 #1463072  by lvrr325

I doubt you even saw the Regional Market/Ballpark lead, it's not connected to the mainline anymore. The 7th ward is clear and in service.

I forgot that a friend of a friend is a CSX employee. He can go in there any time he wants, so I'll just bring him along.
 #1463091  by SST

lvrr325 wrote:I doubt you even saw the Regional Market/Ballpark lead, it's not connected to the mainline anymore. The 7th ward is clear and in service.
Not certain what you mean by this but going back to google sat. imagery, I see we are talking about two different ROW's. As I look at the platform, I never noticed any row along it. The station/platform blocked any view anyways. The row I'm talking about is the active one further east in good condition which google shows as connected. The track, according to google curves around the baseball stadium and the curves sharply east along Hiawatha Blvd. The "Y" that this creates at the main is where the sign is. The trees and brush are too thick and can't be seen from the imagery. But its there!

file:///C:/Users/Brandnew702/AppData/Local/Packages/microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/AC/#!001/MicrosoftEdge/User/Default/WebNotes/Microsoft-Edge-Web-Notes-syracuse-.html

Edit addition: While looking further around the area with google street, the baseball stadium has a walk-way from the main parking lot, across the track and into an open field [end of 4th N st]. Can you ride your bike through the parking lot and to the walk way?
Although your CSX partner seems a better way.
 #1463098  by nydepot

Remember the old days when word of mouth spread and someone just went and looked and did it? Now it has to get debated online forever. If you think you can go, just go. If you have a friend, just go. If you don't care who's around or what's in your way, just go. If it's not your style or aren't interested, stay home.
 #1463116  by lvrr325

What those sat views don't show is the fences and gates that block everything off. One anybody on any vehicle in the ball park is going to attract attention and police or a security guard will investigate. I know they're down there because I ran into one years ago. That crossing over the lead you can't get near.
 #1463138  by JoeS

It may be the white blob in the center of this image: https://goo.gl/maps/zaNsVbxNAFn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't look like there is any easy access to that specific area... if you go to the foot of N 6th St and cross over to the main line you will need your "hippa boots" both crossing to the ROW and then crossing again back to the sign. A lot of bush-whacking on private property is the alternative and good luck with that.

At any rate..

Thank you for this post, it has motivated me to disposition the sign that I have had for more than 40 years. The folks in Salamanca have expressed interest in it, so it's going there - possibly as soon as this weekend.
 #1463155  by nydepot

309 Fourth North St Rear is address of the property. The warehouse up front (801 Hiawatha) owns it back to the railroad, which gets you in the ditch.

It looks like the item is further towards the siding, which puts you back towards CSX it looks like. If you had permission from the warehouse to park back there, it would probably be fine.
warehouse.JPG
 #1463267  by lvrr325

As I was trying to say yesterday, you can't go back there. Gated between the buildings on both sides of the street maybe 50 yards from Hiawatha. Looks like maybe the back is an old overflow lot for the ballpark - but it's also gated off. you can't get to that crossing you can see in the sat photos. I drove all around there Saturday afternoon.

I wouldn't walk through that water, either, you have no dang idea what else is in it to step on, trip over, or just get you stuck in the mud.
 #1463279  by lvrr325

Well, it was about 3/4 of a sign. Everything you said was right except it's more like four feet in diameter.

I found a way to get to it that did not require crossing on or walking on any tracks. Fortunately it's been dry for the last few days which also helped.
0227181316-00.jpg
0227181316-00.jpg (225.1 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
0227181301-01.jpg
0227181301-01.jpg (460.32 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
 #1463313  by nydepot

Now we see your modus operandi - tell everyone it's clearly in a restricted area, bad water, flooding, fences, security, police cars, trespassing signs - and then surprise, I got it!

Glad someone got it.
lvrr325 wrote:Well, it was about 3/4 of a sign. Everything you said was right except it's more like four feet in diameter.

I found a way to get to it that did not require crossing on or walking on any tracks. Fortunately it's been dry for the last few days which also helped.