Railroad Forums 

• PRR Philadelphia and Thorndale Trail?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1232630  by SEPTA2461

Hey everyone, hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving! Yesterday, I went to the West Chester railroad. On my way home I stopped by Whitford station to see the old P&T ROW. There was a nice empty space just above the station where I could step onto the ROW. I didn't go that far, being that it was getting dark. But I thought it looked suitable for a recreational/biking trail. And while this line has never been used by SEPTA, I have to wonder: has any movement been made to restore the abandoned ROW into a rail-trail? I know some work would be needed to make the bridges of Whitford and Brandywine Creek safe for pedestrians. But a trail seems like a decent idea.
 #1232693  by Franklin Gowen

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I greatly prefer my tax dollars to be routed towards repairing bridges that carry passenger trains instead of hikers.
 #1232709  by SEPTA2461

Franklin Gowen wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. However, I greatly prefer my tax dollars to be routed towards repairing bridges that carry passenger trains instead of hikers.
As would I, but what trains would run on the branch?
 #1232759  by Franklin Gowen

SEPTA2461 wrote:
Franklin Gowen wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. However, I greatly prefer my tax dollars to be routed towards repairing bridges that carry passenger trains instead of hikers.
As would I, but what trains would run on the branch?
I was not referring to trains on the dead P&T branch. I'm referring to the numerous bridges on SEPTA's Railroad Division, some of which are extremely aged and increasingly decrepit, and all of which are far more important to keep serviceable than existing P&T bridges for an unneeded hiking trail. It is the former bridges, rather than the latter, that I favor my tax dollars being used to keep safe and useful. My apologies for not being more explicit in my previous post.
 #1232791  by BPP1999

SEPTA2461 wrote:Oh. I see what you mean. But what about after all that is done?
After all that I'd like my tax dollars going to restore passenger service back out to places like West Chester. Once that is done, then maybe they could build another trail.
 #1232900  by SCB2525

A trail on a Right of Way that SEPTA does not own should not concern SEPTA one iota, especially funding, even if SEPTA finds an untold windfall that results in all current or pipe-dream projects constructed to where maglevs are providing 5 minute headways to Reading and flying buses scoot above Broad Street. Such would fall within the auspices of the local municipalities to plan and fund. I do however like hearing interest in rail-trailing a truly redundant branch such as the P&T as opposed to valuable rights of way such as the Ivy Ridge and Newtown branches.
 #1233367  by Clearfield

60 Car wrote:I'm sure that if a benefactor came forward to fund such a trail, it could become a reality.

If you want it, crack open your wallet and have at it.
A voice of reason! Can you toll a trail?
 #1233385  by Patrick Boylan

I remember seeing pedestrian rates for a toll road, perhaps the West Chester Turnpike, so apparently they once upon a time at least tried to collect them. I guess it depends on the alternate "shun pikes", fencing, and dense forests beside the road or trail.
 #1234414  by joshuahouse

There were certainly attempts to toll foot traffic on turnpikes in the early 1800s. They failed for the most part because it was simple for people to simply walk off the road duck around the tollhouse and return to the road, especially in comparison to a wagon or stagecoach.

Both trails and commuter rail add to a community, and to property values. And they both have their NIMBY opponents, often making the same argument, that they attract a "criminal element" or similar claims.