Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#153487  by One of One-Sixty

It is my understanding that although Pennsy ordered the Metroliners that they did not go into service until after the merger with New York Central.

So my questions are as follows:

1) How many of the Metroliners did Pennsy order, as well as how many variations was ordered?

2) Was there any real difference between the Pennsy Metroliners and the Penn Central ones, meaning did PC want certains things added or removed that PRR either had or did not have?

3) What types of horns was used for the Metroliners?

4) What was the orginal numbering squences, and did Penn Central alter the numbering for their needs?

Thanks for your time.

#181011  by JimBoylan

One of One-Sixty wrote:It is my understanding that although Pennsy ordered the Metroliners that they did not go into service until after the merger with New York Central.
1) How many of the Metroliners did Pennsy order, as well as how many variations was ordered?
60, in conjunction with the U.S. goverment, 20 coach, 20 snack bar coach, and 20 parlor car. 11 more with the State of Pennsylvania, all snack bar coach.
2) Was there any real difference between the Pennsy Metroliners and the Penn Central ones, meaning did PC want certains things added or removed that PRR either had or did not have?
Other than changing the markings (Keystone to mating worms), just continuous correction of "bugs".
3) What types of horns was used for the Metroliners?
Don't know.
4) What was the orginal numbering squences, and did Penn Central alter the numbering for their needs?
I think it was 801 thru 860 and 880 thru 890 (the state cars).

#181250  by JimBoylan

I'm sorry, I think I'm off in my totals, and that there were only 61 Metroliners altogether. I probably miscounted the parlor cars.

#191476  by Dieter

Were the Metroliners delivered with Keystones? I've never seen a picture of them. I also recall, could be wrong though, that the Metroliners arrived about the same time as the Penn Central nightmare began.

Dieter.

#191596  by JimBoylan

Dieter wrote:Were the Metroliners delivered with Keystones? I've never seen a picture of them.
There are photos of them at Jenkintown and Wayne Jct. on the Reading while being delivered from Budd, with keystones on the ends.

#217119  by Ramcat

There were 31, 76 seat, coaches fitted with Westinghouse propulsion equipment, PRR/PC 800-830.

There were 20, 60 seat, snack bar coaches fitted with General Electric propulsion equipment, PRR/PC 850-869.

There were 10, 34 seat, parplor cars fitted with General Electric propulsion equipment, PRR/PC 880-889.

All were equipped with General Steel trucks and Symington-Wayne (Dresser) SW-800 flat face hook couplers and Walton Products pin type trainline electrical connectors below the coupler. The electrical connectors were later replaced with jumper cables on all cars.

#242041  by Dieter

For your reference;

The JUNE 2006 Issue of TRAINS Magazine has an article regarding the history of Metroliner Service.

Dieter/

#243088  by BlockLine_4111

These EMU's were classics IMO. IIRC they began running in odd qty. sets on the Keystone(r) trains before they were retired. :wink:

#245618  by Tadman

I have an old magazine showing E60's hauling metro-EMU's on a keystone run. Both MU's and locomotive had raised pans - locomotive for propulsion, MU for heat/lights.

#382458  by One of One-Sixty

What type of trucks Budd use on the Metroliners? I could not find any info on that, thanks guys.

#382759  by chuchubob

BlockLine_4111 wrote:These EMU's were classics IMO. IIRC they began running in odd qty. sets on the Keystone(r) trains before they were retired. :wink:
westbound Capitoliner running through Radnor Oct 21, 1981

#396198  by nydepot

Anyone have the builder's number for these, specifically 818? Thanks.

Charles
 #397110  by trainspot

Here's one with keystones: