Railroad Forums 

• PRR Newark South Street Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1289793  by MACTRAXX

Literalman wrote:Maybe you could get an answer in the Fallen Flags section on the PRR page.
LR: I will second that - Newark South Station's closing predates NJT Rail's existence...MACTRAXX
 #1290050  by Ken W2KB

CarterB wrote:Some plans and drawings of South Street Station

http://books.google.com/books?id=F6ExAQ ... 22&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The one and only time I was on the platform there was to watch the Kennedy funeral train pass by, so it was at least accessible at that time.
 #1290051  by Ken W2KB

zerovanity59 wrote:Does anyone know about the former Newark South Street Station on what is now the Northeast Corridor? Particularity when it opened and when it closed. Also, does anyone know about the primary Newark station before Newark Penn Station was built? Thank you.
I've seen photos of the pre-Newark Penn station. It was on the south side of Market Street as I recall from the photos.
 #1290176  by timz

PRR elevated the tracks thru Newark circa 1904; the elevated South St station replaced the surface-level stations at Emmett St and Chestnut St.

South St is in the 5/74 public timetable; it's not in the 4/76.

Stand on the platform next to track 1 at Newark now-- looking SW, track 1 is straight all the way to the Hunter curve. That shows you where Newark Market St station was until they demolished it circa 1935: on that line on the SW side of Market St. Four tracks NE from the Hunter curve pinched down to three just SW of the station; three tracks thru the station, with platforms on the outside tracks, then two tracks on the swing bridge across the river.

Circa 1935 they built the present tracks 3-4-5 alongside the old station, moved the trains over there, then demolished the old station and finished the present layout that opened in 1937.
 #1290619  by ExCon90

One of the books in the Triumph series -- I forget which one, it's the one covering Philadelphia to New York -- has a track and signal diagram of the old and new Newark stations, as well as one of Manhattan Transfer.
 #1290826  by Don31

ExCon90 wrote:One of the books in the Triumph series -- I forget which one, it's the one covering Philadelphia to New York -- has a track and signal diagram of the old and new Newark stations, as well as one of Manhattan Transfer.
I believe its "Triumph V", if I recall correctly. Good book.....