Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #365487  by thebishop

I asked this same question on the Pennsylvania regional board, but still hoping for some information: Being that the primary traffic off the Low Grade was coal from Sligo and points east moving east to Driftwood, can anyone discuss what traffic if any ran between East Brady and Lawsonham in later PRR years? Did any coal move south down the Allegheny? I'm also wondering where PRR based a local to serve what mixed freight customers there were on the line.

Thanks for any information,

The Bishop
 #365921  by Ron Mele

thebishop wrote:I asked this same question on the Pennsylvania regional board, but still hoping for some information: Being that the primary traffic off the Low Grade was coal from Sligo and points east moving east to Driftwood, can anyone discuss what traffic if any ran between East Brady and Lawsonham in later PRR years? Did any coal move south down the Allegheny? I'm also wondering where PRR based a local to serve what mixed freight customers there were on the line.

Thanks for any information,

The Bishop
There was a small yard and engine facility at Phillipston near East Brady and that yard would have taken care of some local traffic on the Low Grade as well as originating hopper trains to Sligo. Phillipston also handled tank car traffic to the Quaker State refinery in Emlenton. Further to the east there was a yard and agent at Reynoldsville that probably took care of local needs in Brookville and DuBois. As for coal moving south along the Allegheny, I recall Conrail moving hopper trains on the Allegheny Secondary up until 1982. I'm fairly certain PRR ran coal off the Low Grade north and south on the Allegheny Branch. Hope this helps.