Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #289201  by msernak

K4 # 5409 was reportedly painted in Tuscan Red at some point in time. Can anyone confirm this? I would have liked to seen a photos of this.
 #317985  by PRRK4s

You be the judge. This photo is in my collection. It was taken in the early 1930's, the same time when 5409 and others were known to be Tuscan Red. Note the different lining stripes, particularly around the word PENNSYLVANIA on the tender. This is quite unique as I have seen no other K4s with this striping. Also note that the drivers are pin striped as is the cab number. Evidence this K4s was decked out in full dress, not the normal passenger pin stripe as seen in service and builder photos. Again, you be the judge:

http://www.angelfire.com/film/prrpics/redk4.jpg

.....Gary

#324608  by msernak

Gary,

There is definately a difference from the regular paint scheme. Still wish it was in color. Thanks.

Mike
 #348113  by Milesius

msernak wrote:K4 # 5409 was reportedly painted in Tuscan Red at some point in time. Can anyone confirm this? I would have liked to seen a photos of this.
From my railroad source, yes the PRR had that unpopular color for a steam engine. it was very early though and was quicky changed.

Look at the CNJ, they had a Blue Steam Engine and they had a Blue Camelback when the 2 Blue Pacifics were not running from Liberty State Park to Atlantic City.

#354464  by Schuylkill Valley

The Southern railway had Green steam locomotives, and the Southern Pacific had Orange locomotives I'm thinking of the Daylight.

Len.