Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.

#16740  by Trainheartedguy

I heard it allready was. please correct me if I am wrong, but I heard it was restored & was currently running around steamtown. If it gets back to altoona though, it will never run agin I hear :(

#16764  by metman499

When I was at Steamtown a few weeks ago the cab of the K-4 was still sitting on a flat outside the shop so unless major work was done since then I doubt that it is running very much.
 #52281  by Schuylkill Valley

I was talking to a person at Altoonas museum via computer on Friday , She told me that the K-4 will be up and running by next year and return to Altoona .
How true this information is I`m not sure .

Len

#155310  by Centurylover68

K-4 1361 is going to be fully operational soon I think. I guess she might be running by Railfest '05. She'll debut back at her birthplace of Altoona
 #175761  by Agent at Clicquot

Hi all

I took Steamtown's Backshop Tour on 10.05.05. The K4 was still sans backhead, flues and numerous other componets.

From what I've been told, the work is in a holding pattern pending FRA inspection. The ranger who led the tour said return-to-service dates have not been set. The restoration is being pursued under a do it right the first time approach.

The tender is being *extensively* rebuilt. From a chat with a guy doing the work, most of what folks see from trackside will be new steel. They were riveting in the water spaces when I was there. The coal pocket was to the left of the tender. The K4 was 50' away on one of the inspection-pit shop tracks (next to B&M 3713).

* JB *
Agent at Clicquot
 #227929  by K-4s DRIVER

Don't look for it anytime soon!!