Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #504156  by PRSLFAN

I used to live in Upper Darby, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. And the old Cardington Branch tracks use to run right behind my neigborhood on Andover Drive and the right of way ran near darby creek. I was shocked to hear about it when i read the Hobo's guide of the Pennsy. I do not know the exact spot were the tracks were because of the rows of houses but i do know it branched off the Newtown Square Branch. Does anybody remember the Cardington Branch??? Any articles written on the branch??

#504770  by Septa Fan

I believe that the PRR Technical and Historical society published a comprehensive article on the Cardington Branch. It is readily available in reprint at many hobby stores and, I think, at the SEPTA store at 1234 market. I hope that this will help you to reconnect.
SEPTA FAN

#515454  by crosstrack

Here's a bit of trivia. SEPTA aquired the right-of-way for this branch - or what was left of it. I was working on a project at SEPTA roughly 10 years ago and was looking through the right-of-way maps and stumbled onto this line. I had to ask several people where/what it was before I ran into an old timer who pointed me in the direction of the old Sears Building just west of Cobb's creek. (Since demolished).
 #621900  by Red Arrow Fan

PRSLFAN wrote:I used to live in Upper Darby, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. And the old Cardington Branch tracks use to run right behind my neigborhood on Andover Drive and the right of way ran near darby creek. I was shocked to hear about it when i read the Hobo's guide of the Pennsy. I do not know the exact spot were the tracks were because of the rows of houses but i do know it branched off the Newtown Square Branch. Does anybody remember the Cardington Branch??? Any articles written on the branch??
It branched off the Newtown Square line between Pembroke Ave and Marshall Roads in Upper Darby (closer to Marshall Road). The line passed just north of East Lansdowne boro, on it's way to crossing Long Lane.
 #622324  by JimBoylan

The junction switch was about in the gap between the dead end of Le Carra Dr. and the intersection Glenthorne and Radbourne Rds.