Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #732209  by jerryt

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of the value of this item? I have a PRR solid brass logo it is 1/2" thick, 35 lbs 19"x24" .

Thanks Jerry
Pennsylvania RR LOGO NET.jpg
Pennsylvania RR LOGO NET.jpg (298.55 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
 #732519  by jerryt

Maybe I should first ask WHAT IS IT? I have not seen anything like it any place on the net. I assume its from an engine while other said maybe it was on a depot..
Jerry
 #732632  by The tram man

I think it used to be on a depot. I can only guess the value but i would say some... $100? Some $1000?
 #732719  by jerryt

Train man,
Thanks I did not know if they even used brass on the depot logos. I have looked at the red "plates" on the engines and wondered if maybe they were 3 part, and this was one part. Value wise the brass is worth $45.50 at the local scrap yard, but there is no way I would scrap it, I am just trying to get an idea of its value.
Jerry
 #733112  by workextra

That would looks so cool polished up and screwed to a nice keystone!
It would probably boost the price.
 #733342  by The tram man

jerryt wrote:Train man,
Thanks I did not know if they even used brass on the depot logos. I have looked at the red "plates" on the engines and wondered if maybe they were 3 part, and this was one part. Value wise the brass is worth $45.50 at the local scrap yard, but there is no way I would scrap it, I am just trying to get an idea of its value.
Jerry
I think it might be to big for an engine. Unless its the GG1s you meen. Allthough they had painted on logos. Well i dont know.
And that station thing. I just guessed. I have no idea acctualy. Allthough we did that here in sweden before. On some stations.
 #734398  by jerryt

I had someone tell me they feel pretty sure it is from a PRR bridge.

Jerry
 #734409  by septadude

No clue what it's worth, but I wanted to mention that it's very neat! Like another poster said, you should polish it up (if you have a dremel, it's not too hard) and mount it somewhere!
 #735553  by jerryt

Yeah I plan to do just that clean it up and put it someplace....... It will clean very easy np there..
I will now admit I got it at a benefit type yard sale. I found it tossed in a trash pile with empty boxes I picked it up and said " what is this?" The reply from the man in charge was " I assume it was made for mounting outside on someones home you know maybe the Parker's, Robert and Rhonda" My next question was " how much?" his reply was "oh, a dollar" I grabbed it up, my 26 yo son thought I was nuts as he bought into the guys assumption. I told him if its brass its would a lot more than a buck, at that time I was not 100% sure it was PRR but thought it might be. Once back at his place we looked it up on the net and seen the logo...
one of the best George's I ever spent... FYI as scrap brass it is worth $45.00...

Jerry
 #736289  by chnhrr

Have someone professionally restore it. If it has value, it can loose value if you refinish incorrectly. Brass letters are often associated with architectural ornamental work, so this could have been on an awning or canopy of building. I don’t know if it also could have been on a PRR ferry or a tug. As for bridge, I don’t think that would have been practical since no one would go to a bridge and polish it plus there are also issues with galvanic action.

The origins of this logo sounds like a question for the History Detectives on PBS.
 #821281  by jgallaway81

Until just recently there were very LARGE keystones painted on the Admin building at Conway Yard. Those keystones were easily large enough to have had these letters in them.
 #831489  by Pennsyjohn

I wish I could find an old picture I had. I took a picture of Penn Station NY and I think that was over the entry doors.

Wouldn't be nice if it was. There were a lot of things taken off the old building and scattered to the four winds.

John