Railroad Forums 

• Provocative Railway Age Article 9/10/20: "Private Sector Investment in NEC Operations?"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1565419  by Pensyfan19

Amtrak just replied to Ameristarrail´s proposal to privatise the NEC.

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... sal--62889
Amtrak has reviewed a private firm's proposal that calls for privatizing the national intercity passenger railroad's Northeast Corridor (NEC) service.
In response to a request for comment, Amtrak spokeswoman Beth Toll said in an email that the railroad has corresponded with AmeriStarRail officials about their proposal. In response to specific points in the group's proposal, Toll noted the following:
• Although AmeriStarRail has proposed creating a centralized maintenance facility, likely in Delaware, that would employ 150 people, Amtrak already employs more than 1,000 Delaware residents primarily at two major equipment maintenance facilities. If Amtrak wasn't operating the trains and maintaining the equipment on the NEC, most of those jobs would go away.
• It's not likely that riders would be comfortable sharing small, closed compartments on a train [as AmeriStarRail has proposed] while the country is recovering from a pandemic;
• The assertion that the private group could expand the NEC for only $5 billion does not take into account that the NEC has a huge state-of-good-repair deficit, calculated at $42 billion, that must be addressed to maintain current Amtrak and commuter services.
• The AmeriStarRail proposal would not produce more money for Amtrak [as proposed] because the vast majority of Amtrak revenue comes from passenger fares, which AmeriStarRail would receive.
Amtrak also released a whitepaper sometime ago regarding the matter. I understand their point of not wanting to give up their crown jewel of their system to a relatively new private company, but I do not feel that privatisation as a whole is represented by the failures of Iowa Pacific and Britain´s franchising. Most people associate the latter with privatisation, but this is not necessarily the case as Brightline has done a very well job at passenger service (before the pandemic) as well as most privately-owned passenger trains since the 1930s.
 #1565476  by Rockingham Racer

Red Wing wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:12 pm
NRGeep wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:29 am This is the most cost effective connection. Some sort of shuttle from the water connections to stations would clinch it.
Why would you need a shuttle? build a bridge over 93 from Lovejoy Warf to North Station. I grant you Fort Point would be harder, well until the Post Office moves and the mythical new platforms are built.
Or use the current link already in place: the Orange Line, but from Back Bay. There is really no need to go to South Station on Amtrak these days to get to North Station. The only South Shore Lines that miss out are those that use the Fairmount Line. BTW, I've used a taxi between the two, and the driver chose to use the service roads of I-93 to get between the two.
 #1568725  by Pensyfan19

Further discussions between these two regarding privatisation to take place soon!

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... dea--63214
AmeriStarRail LLC owners, who have suggested privatizing Amtrak operations on the Northeast Corridor (NEC), will discuss their proposal with Amtrak in a phone call today.

AmeriStarRail officials believe they can expand Amtrak's NEC capacity to meet travel demand over the next 20 to 40 years. Amtrak recently responded in writing to the private group, which requested a conversation with Amtrak leaders to talk about what they believe are "misunderstandings about our proposal."

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said Amtrak agreed to participate in a call to allow AmeriStarRail to elaborate on their NEC proposal.
As a side note, if we're going to follow the Amtrak subtopics, this should be in Amtrak NEC.
 #1568799  by jonnhrr

Rockingham Racer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:37 am Or use the current link already in place: the Orange Line, but from Back Bay. There is really no need to go to South Station on Amtrak these days to get to North Station. The only South Shore Lines that miss out are those that use the Fairmount Line.
The Old Colony services to MIddleboro, Greenbush, and Plymouth/Kingston also miss Back Bay.

Also at least pre-pandemic, you can't always guarantee getting a good seat boarding at BBY, especially if you want a window seat.

Another use for a BOS - BON shuttle would be for fans arriving at South Station on CR heading to games at the TD Garden. Of course it would have to run late to accommodate evening games.

Jon
 #1568806  by FatNoah

Or use the current link already in place: the Orange Line, but from Back Bay.
The quality of that link is very time of day dependent. I commuted daily to North Station via CR and then to BBY via the Orange Line. During normal commuting hours, it is sometimes literally impossible to board an Orange Line train due to crowding (N.Station in AM, BBY in PM). Getting on board with a backpack is a challenge, never mind with a family and/or luggage in tow. Outside of the commute. hours, it's totally different. Trains will be busy, but a family would have few problems with the transfer.

I've personally seen a few brave families try to board the Orange Line in the morning and eventually give up and take a cab/Uber instead. It's not a great experience and I don't see it as one that, except for transit aficionados such as myself, would generate repeat business.