Railroad Forums 

• Providence visit next week; good spots to catch P&W action?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1470049  by Snowmojoe

I'm going to be up in Providence for a business trip next week. What are some good spots in the area to (legally) catch the P&W in action? Optimally I'd like to get the ex-NYSW Dash-8s (they're still on the roster online) but I understand they may not be around (NECR?). Honestly any other freight action would be welcome as well.

I'll have the better part of a Thursday to myself if it makes a difference - a conference in the morning and then cut loose around 11 or 12 for the rest of the day.
 #1470111  by johnpbarlow

I'm not sure there are any good spots to catch P&W activity in Providence at least in the daytime. I think the turn job out of Worcester that takes auto racks and general freight to/from Davisville RI runs at night along Amtrak's NE Corridor through Providence. There may be a daytime local that runs out of P&W's small Valley Falls, RI yard (5-6 miles north of Providence) over to Pawtucket and E Providence. This line parallels George Bennett Highway in Pawtucket servicing a handful of industries (eg, Hasbro?). P&W's main terminal with engine house is Worcester, MA, some 40 miles nw of Providence.

You might try posting your question at the following P&W Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BillsPWRR/
 #1472055  by Jon06066

I'm not sure if you saw anything on your trip. I normally don't see activity during my commute to and from E Providence. I do see stationary ethanol tankers near a huge tank farm just south of the port.

However, today was a glorious spring day. Not only that, but I saw some mixed rolling stock heading south towards the Cranston town line. I think they were on the way to link up with some other cars near Exit 16 off of I-95.