Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#21513  by efin98

JayMan wrote: It's the idea -- why should we have a permit (which the MTA can eliminate on a whim) to do something that's free and legal anyway?
It's not a right, it's a privilege. It's the MTA's right to take the privilege away as it's their property. If you don't want someone that could potentially damage your property taking photographs(re: "terrorist" aspect of their plan) you would ban photography on your property too. Why should it be any different for the MTA? It's their right to do that, no matter how stupid of a plan it is.

#21521  by Robert Paniagua

If you think they are going to just hand these things out, boy are you living in la la land.

Good Luck. You'll never get me to take another rail photo.

Well Mr. Upper Harlem Line, don't be such a pessimist, brother. Have an optimistic look at this situation. You're being too pessimistic now, Jeezz!

As for me, I've taken shots and film without needing a pass there, and not had a problem with NYPD as mentioned earlier in this topic.

#21594  by Otto Vondrak

I think we need to settle and see what the outcome of the vote is. THEN we can worry about whether or not we need passes or permits. sound good?

-otto-

#21686  by efin98

Otto Vondrak wrote:I think we need to settle and see what the outcome of the vote is. THEN we can worry about whether or not we need passes or permits. sound good?

-otto-
I'll be optimistic about this:
With the MTA in favor, Mayor Bloomberg, the media, and the average citizens against, is there any indication that the proposal will survive? The outpouring against the proposal seems to make it look like it is DOA and going to cost someone their job. I hope that's the outcome :wink:

#21700  by JayMan

efin98 wrote: I'll be optimistic about this:
With the MTA in favor, Mayor Bloomberg, the media, and the average citizens against, is there any indication that the proposal will survive? The outpouring against the proposal seems to make it look like it is DOA and going to cost someone their job. I hope that's the outcome :wink:
Are you sure that average citizens are against it? The outpouring against the ban seems to be all or mostly coming from railfans. The average citizen may just think it's stupid to allow anyone to take pictures of our transit system. In wake of the recent alert on possible Al-Qaeda activity in the country and a new attack potentially looming, the bulk of John Q. Public may well support this ban, if anything.

But, of course, I hope rational minds and cooler heads prevail over hysteria and defeat this proposed ban.

#21716  by efin98

JayMan wrote:But, of course, I hope rational minds and cooler heads prevail over hysteria and defeat this proposed ban.
That's what I take the average citizen as, a rational mind and a cooler head with no stake either way but sees the ban for what it is- an overreaction.

#21956  by JayMan

efin98 wrote:
JayMan wrote:But, of course, I hope rational minds and cooler heads prevail over hysteria and defeat this proposed ban.
That's what I take the average citizen as, a rational mind and a cooler head with no stake either way but sees the ban for what it is- an overreaction.
Kinda hard when every time you turn on the news you about the 7 Al-Qaeda folks running around planning a major attack this summer -- and how everyone has to keep their eyes open for 'em.

#23035  by The Caternary Type

The proposed change is this:
1050.9 (C)

The proposed change in IQ for the person who thought is
-1050.9%