Railroad Forums 

• Proposal for a “Farewell GP40Ps” fan trip

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#3745  by BlockLine_4111

1-2 GP40Ps upfront, 8-16 coaches in the middle, and 1-2 GP40Ps on rear. Coaches can be C1s or the C2 rebuilds.

Depart Hoboken 9AM, Newark 9:30 AM head down NJCL w/1-2 photo run bys between Long Branch and Bay Head. Arrive at Hunter Interlocking @ 2-3PM, head out to High Bridge and back with 1-2 photo run bys between Cranford and High Bridge. Arrive back at Newark 6:30 PM, Hoboken 7 PM.

Any thoughts ?

#3765  by nick11a

I like it. I hope they do something like this for the retirement of these engines.

#3774  by transit383

I like the idea. I would like to see, similar to the U34CH Farewell Trip, the two locomotives leading and trailing the train be repainted. One could be painted in the either the blue CNJ scheme or the striped CNJ scheme, while the other could be painted with the NJDOT gray stripe (my personal favorite paint scheme). The repainted units could then be given to the URHS. If more than two units are used, then any additional units could be repainted or polished up in the NJT disco stripe scheme.

Here is a photo of the blue CNJ scheme:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_cnj3679a.jpg

The striped CNJ scheme:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_cnj3682.jpg

The NJDOT scheme:
http://www.hobokenterminal.com/alltime/ ... durant.jpg

The familiar NJT scheme:
http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/NJT410 ... LIDE25.jpg

And I'm probably pushing my luck here, but a solid consist of C2s and C4s would be nice looking to go along with the trip, as opposed to a mixed set of C2s, C3s, C4s, and C5s.

#3789  by TR-00

Maybe we could lay off a few more people to pay for all of the painting?

#3802  by njt5140

Dream on guys....

#3839  by nick11a

Well, dreaming that they would have an excursion trip is not far fetched. The painting however is a little more (but not that much more.)

#3908  by BigDell

Oh, come now... It's a railfan forum! (Chuckle!)
We can DREAM about seeing our fave engines in a retro paint scheme and talk about all our "what if's".... No harm in that. We KNOW there isn't enough $$ to do the CNJ/NJDOT schemes we'd like to see. We'd be lucky to even get a railfan trip out of this. But it's nice to say "Hey, wouldn't it be great if...." etc... For a lot of us, the sight of a loco painted in the scheme of a long gone railroad brings us a bit of pleasure and a somewhat real, tactile remembrance of something we enjoyed 20 or even 30 years (or more) ago.
No, we don't want to see our friends at NJT get laid off to repaint a loco - and it's perfectly okay for us to "dream on".
BigDell

#3952  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Well, don't you all have paint burshes??

Thats how we got the U30C painted........

If this materializes, count me in......

#3967  by DutchRailnut

so who is gone organize this ???
who is they ??
and if ticket sales are going down drain who will foot the bill if any losses.
Blockline & Nick volunteering ??

#3984  by nick11a

Nah, I wouldn't organize this. Just expressing interest, that's all.

I would be happy just with a farewell trip in standard revenue service. And the locos could just go as is.

Relax people :)

#3996  by njt4172

I was not getting mad at him! Just simply asking him to talk to me personally so he can defend his stance!
Last edited by njt4172 on Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#4003  by nick11a

TR means well. Don't get too angry at him. He is right. With NJT's moneys problems, they don't have the finances to do such a thing.

But then again, we are just fantasizing here. Sure it would be nice if such a thing happpened. We'll just have to see what happens.

As I said before, relax. Chill. :wink:

#4162  by AlcoMD

Does NJT even have a paint shop ?

I don't think so........