Railroad Forums 

• Proper Etiquette

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#2180  by jscribe

I was traveling home on the delayed NEC 6:32 train last evening when we heard an interesting conversation on the loudspeaker (please pardon my layman-speak). Apparently there was a problem with the doors when we arrived at New Brunswick.
Conductor: Who opened the doors - I said DO NOT OPEN THE DOORS [he yelled].
Assistant #1: I didnt open the doors.
Assistant #2: I opened the doors before I heard you say that we shouldnt open the doors. Sorry . .
Conductor: I specifically said - DONT OPEN THE DOORS.
Assistant #2: Sorry, I opened them before I heard you say don't open the doors.
Conductor: I said, DONT OPEN THE DOORS.
Assistant #1: Um, shouldnt you guys be discussing this over the IC?
Passengers: Chuckle, Chuckle.

#2190  by CNJFAN

ANOTHER ISSUE OF TRAIN ETIQUETTE
It is VERY ANNOYING when you come upon ignorant people who want to board a train at a stop but apparently don't realize that you are supposed to let the passengers GET OFF THE TRAIN FIRST before trying to push your way onto the train while people are trying to exit...
Same thing with elevators too.
Be more patient and courteous people!!!!!!
Of course this is not always the case but I do see it often.

#2194  by Jtgshu

Hahaha

Oh the beauty of proper working PA's and IC's. What probably happened was one of a couple of things.......either the doors up front were off the platform (engineer pulled a bit too long, and the engineers door override pedal - keeps the doors closed while pushed down - might not have worked), or maybe it was 10 or 12 cars and the head two cars were off, and if MU's, the Conductor didn't get a chance to put is key in the door panel to prevent the doors up ahead from opening, and told, or at least tried to tell the person opening the doors (might not have been the rear brakeman if the hind two cars or hind four cars (if a 12 car train) where hanging off the platform) to wait until he got to the panel to open the doors (DON'T OPEN UP THE DOORS!!!) And, well low and behold, woosh, the doors opened up, so the conductor as he put his key in teh panel closed the doors ahead that were opened but no platform was there.

There have been numerous times when conducting, especially in the rain/snow when Im running through the cars trying to keep pace with the end of the platform as teh train slides past the end. If the brakeman was paying attnetion, he would notice that he is too far down the platform and woulnd't open the doors anyway, but i have to get the first door on the platform so I (the conductor) can open the doors back. Also, if the engineers PA was working, more than likely he would make an annoucement saying not to open teh doors, the Conductor will open back.

The other possibility was that there was a passenger/fare dispute and the conductor didn't want the doors opened up yet while he was "working" if you will, on this fare or person. But alas, the doors opened up and the perp took off like a bat out of hell.....unlikely, but possible never the less.

But also, there are times when you get so PO'ed at some crew members that you want to embarrass them as part of their "punishment", and the IC doesn't do justice, so "yelling" over the PA does that. I did this very thing the other day, I made a VERY scarastic remark over the PA, after some crew members didn't listen to my instructions, but I don't yell on the PA, rather talk quite sternly!! I got my point across to not only that person, but all the crew members on the train, which is really my point.

Never a dull moment!

#2391  by nick11a

Proper etiquette on NJT? Naah! :)