Railroad Forums 

• Private speeder use on NYSW

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#832072  by 3shorts

Just saw a group of speeders going through Port Dickinson. Is this a club? Can speeders be purchased or are they really rare? Looks like a great way to have a fun day and see the countryside.
 #832173  by DutchRailnut

for speeders start here:
http://www.narcoa.org/ yup its an organization.
 #832396  by cjvrr

Well, at least one of them was me! We ran a fully approved, insured trip over the NYS&W Syracuse Division July 24th and 25th. Saturday we ran roundtrip from Cortland north to Syracuse, actually having lunch at the mall. On Sunday we ran roundtrip from Cortland to Binghamton and had lunch at the NYS&W offices (former D&H freighthouse) in downtown Binghamton.

I am actually a NARCOA (North American Railcar Operators Association) Excursion Coordinator and a member of the Volunteer Railroaders Association, a local affiliate to the national organization. I helped set up the trip with another gentleman. However but big thanks yous go out to NYS&W President Nathan Fenno and the rest of their employees for allowing us to run these trips. Without their approval, we would not be running on their railroad.

http://www.vratrips.org

And by the way, speeders are readily available, but they have gotten really expensive in the last 10 years. Prices went from about $1,000 for one in good shape to $5,000+. I would strongly suggest that before taking a plunge into the hobby, team up with an owner in the area and see if you can join him or her on a few trips. We have a trip over the Utica Division coming up on September 11th. Send me a email around that time, and if you are available I will see if I can find you a seat in one of the cars. There are two requirements for anyone attending a trip on the NYS&W. You must be over 18, and you must sign a release.
3shorts wrote:Just saw a group of speeders going through Port Dickinson. Is this a club? Can speeders be purchased or are they really rare? Looks like a great way to have a fun day and see the countryside.
 #832756  by RussNelson

Add to the cost of the speeder the cost of a trailer and vehicle capable of towing it. Plus the fuel. Plus travel time to and from the host railroad. Plus hotel costs. Not a hobby for the faint of heart. On the other hand, it's HUGE HUGE fun. Like WAY HUGE fun. Like WICKED HUGE fun.
 #832893  by litz

My nephew, at age 14, took a ride with me on one of the motorcar runs we periodically do on the Blue Ridge Scenic trackage ...

We were literally less than 100 yds down the track when he turns to me with this huge wide-eyed teenaged stare .... "This is soooooooooooo cool ...."

- litz
 #835297  by GOLDEN-ARM

this is so not a NYSW topic. closed.