Railroad Forums 

• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#438614  by onder

That stuff is hammered. It is a waste but the
real crying shame is the stuff down at the
power plant. That electric is worth more than
all the other stuff put together.

Id gladly contribute a hundred bucks to
any real effort that wishes to pull that
motor out.

#438628  by scottychaos

nessman wrote:
scottychaos wrote:D&H 4126 - Alco RS3 - Ex Albany Port RR #2 nee D&H 4126. owned by City of Albany.
D&H 3011 - Alco S2 - Ex Albany Port RR nee D&H 3011. owned by City of Albany.
If they're still owned by the City of Albany, then how could they still have D&H reporting marks and be "ex Albany Port RR"?
who said they have D&H reporting marks?
and I assume they are owned by the city of Albany because the City of albany runs the Albany Port RR??
or..the city took ownership after the Port RR dumped them..

I dont know...I just record the information! ;)
I just record what information I can find, or am told..
I dont create it..

and its very possible the "owned by city of albany" info isnt even correct anymore..

Sco

#438650  by Amtrak700

Sadly this is what happens when this sort of equipment ends up in the hands of the wrong people without the means and backing to restore it. What a shame.

#438652  by kilroy3488

I met the current owner of the RS3,( D&H)and S2, the NYC coach and D&H caboose, he is currently scrapping the coach in place. Looking for someone to buy the Alco's or move them or they will be cut up too. The S1 is owned by a guy in Ohio, that I think is too far gone to save. The FA is almost ready to move...when I don't know. Vandals have stolen so much valuable metals off the equipment, even couplers, to sell for scrap, there is not much to save. CP and local police are really watching the area now, I imagine CP wants the liability out of there ASAP.

#438666  by Alcoman

kilroy3488 wrote:I met the current owner of the RS3,( D&H)and S2, the NYC coach and D&H caboose, he is currently scrapping the coach in place. Looking for someone to buy the Alco's or move them or they will be cut up too. The S1 is owned by a guy in Ohio, that I think is too far gone to save. The FA is almost ready to move...when I don't know. Vandals have stolen so much valuable metals off the equipment, even couplers, to sell for scrap, there is not much to save. CP and local police are really watching the area now, I imagine CP wants the liability out of there ASAP.
The guy you met does not LEGALLY own the 2 Alcos. He tried to start a museum years ago and failed. The Alcos were donated to the museum under a temporary NY State Charter which expired. Therefore, the Alcos legally belong to the Albany Port RR-the original owner. Trainlawyer might be able to shed some light on this in detail.
The Guy in Ohio does doe NOT exsist. I tried to reach min many years ago without any clue to what happened to him. The 417 is for all intensive purposes-abandoned.
This person who you talked with is the same guy who had 2 Alco couplers for sale on Railswap. The ad was still there the last time I looked. Makes you wonder who the real thieves are. Mind you there are 2 couplers missing from the locomotives too.
The equipment has sat there for over 15 years and no one has properly cared for it. Now it is in danger of being cut up. How many times has this story been repeated????

#438856  by nessman

With scrap steel going for $200'ish a ton now, I'm sure someone would object... surprised no one has turned that stuff into razor blades yet.

#438873  by Alcoman

According to one person I just got an e-mail from, the scrapping has begun !!!

#438950  by nessman

I'll take a control stand.

#439050  by thebigham

Alcoman wrote:According to one person I just got an e-mail from, the scrapping has begun !!!
On all the Alcos?

#439055  by Alcoman

Lets just say that I got bad information....
I just returned from Colonie and NOTHING has been done. NO scrapping. I have also been advised by yet another party that scrapping WILL NOT take place for awhile according to CP.
We can all breath easier now.....

#439063  by thebigham

Great news, John!

Thanks.

#439281  by Nova55

Why breath easier? Is anyone currently trying to save the stuff? Im sure alot of that equipment is in horrible shape as it is, like DL is doing...why keep it if it is indeed all that bad? I can see parting them out for others though..

Agreed..those NYC motors are possibly the rarest thing in there..

#442496  by thebigham

Any news?

#442498  by thebigham

Any new developments?

Is someone still scrapping the passenger cars?

Thanks,

Chris
Last edited by thebigham on Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.