Railroad Forums 

• Private Corporations should run passenger trains in America

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1530742  by Pensyfan19

My main point I have with this topic is that if private corporations, such as nut not limited to Brightline, Texas Central Railway, and the Microsoft-backed high speed train from Portland to Vancouver, would run portions of passenger rail lines in certain corridors, then they would be more successful and provide better service than Amtrak which receives little funding by the government. Whereas other government ran railways around the world, especially in Europe, are prospering since they are fully funded and are not too long distance wise, the U.S. government is funding other things such as highways rather than Amtrak.
 #1530747  by SouthernRailway

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:58 pm My main point I have with this topic is that if private corporations, such as nut not limited to Brightline, Texas Central Railway, and the Microsoft-backed high speed train from Portland to Vancouver, would run portions of passenger rail lines in certain corridors, then they would be more successful and provide better service than Amtrak which receives little funding by the government. Whereas other government ran railways around the world, especially in Europe, are prospering since they are fully funded and are not too long distance wise, the U.S. government is funding other things such as highways rather than Amtrak.
(To be clear above, re: my post that was deleted: I didn't post an ad hominem attack by me. I just quoted an ad hominem attack made against me.)

For the post that I'm responding to now (by Pensyfan19):

I don't quite follow: is your position that a slimly-funded rail system is not acceptable, so either (1) the government needs to fund it a lot or (2) the private sector needs to take over?

If a rail system needs public funding, then doesn't that indicate that it can't survive as a private company? And if it's viable as a private company, why would it need public funding?

I'd prefer that everything possible be privately-run, since private companies that are not monopolies tend to be more efficient (in terms of how their funds are used) than either state-run companies or monopolies, but unfortunately I just don't see that the private sector can run passenger rail on its own, except in rare cases. Passenger rail just doesn't make money, with some rare exceptions.

There is definitely more room for the private sector in passenger rail, though: perhaps contract out individual lines to private operators (who may need subsidies, although hopefully less than Amtrak).

Despite my overall disfavor towards state-owned companies, and my preference towards significantly more investment in passenger rail, I think that Amtrak has done a pretty good job, perhaps because it's been underfunded: it's been forced to use its subsidies well. My one beef with it is that it never seems to innovate (which is typical for state-owned companies and monopolies): every new thing it has seems to be implemented years after someone else developed it. Rewards programs, electronic ticketing, etc.: all done by airlines first.
 #1530756  by ConstanceR46

Let me rephrase my adhominem.

If you can look at what privatization has done to:

-Mexico
-Brazil
-British Rail

and say, with a straight face, that it's good because it uhh innovates? You're being fleeced, buddy. Maybe if Amtrak had more funding (just cancel the f-35 or something for it) then they'd be able to "innovate".
 #1530772  by SouthernRailway

So your response is to list a few countries without further facts (I can look at a map and copy some names of other countries too) and tell me that I’m being “fleeced”?

That’s also an ad hominem attack and asserts nothing of substance.

When you come up with a reasonable and substantive position, I’ll consider responding. Otherwise, you’re on my “ignore” list from now on.
 #1530787  by John_Perkowski

Admin note:
IF Jeff decides to let Andrew reopen this, we will expect you to behave maturely. Remember, railroad net is offered to you freely. Other boards ...you pay to play.
 #1532099  by Pensyfan19

Well well well! We have another private corporation proposing to start service on a line proposed by a government-owned passenger service! :-D
Other than microsoft-backed Portland to Vancouver high speed rail, are there any other similar proposals like this?

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... -rail-line
It is behind a paywall.