Railroad Forums 

• Private collection in Vermont? (Passumpsic Railroad)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#663443  by harleyfiremedic

A photographer friend of mine was in Vermont this past weekend and sent me a couple of photo's to find out what they are. I have no idea what they are other than they are railroad related. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

You can see them at the following link to my flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26863251@N ... 055267845/
 #663458  by toolmaker

I think this is the equipment located along route 5 in Barnet, VT. It's a private collection. The one you see on the flatcar is only for parts. On Youtube.com search for "Passumpsic Heisler Returning from a shove" you will see the restored sister in action.
 #663506  by eman577

part of the collection of the Passumpsic RR, owned by Dr Marvin Kendall.
Located on Rt 5 In Bartnet, VT (about 10 min south of St J), it is home to
several pieces of railroad history, including a former MEC 44 tonner
(which does not run, and has been scavenged for parts), another 44T
that does, or did recently, a former Conway Scenic converted boxcar/
passenger car, and the former MEC turntable from Beecher Falls. The
latter is in a field a little further south.

Kendall operates occasionally, especially around Christmas. He has the
on;y operating steam locomotive in VT, that I know of. A Heisler.
I tried accessing their website, and could see some pictures, but all the
text was replaced with a very scientific sound paragraph repeated over
and over.

http://passumpsicrailroad.com
 #663614  by musehobo

For everyone's information. I found this location years ago and took photos and talked to the people there. I asked if I could give copies of the photos to the Walker Transportation Collection. They asked that I with hold sharing pictures, as they have ALREADY HAD PEOPLE STEALING ITEMS. The less people know of this place the safer the trains will be. PS: my photos are still only in my possession.
 #663638  by Otto Vondrak

musehobo wrote:The less people know of this place the safer the trains will be. PS: my photos are still only in my possession.
I appreciate your intentions, but how do we recall the other photos and videos already in circulation? On their own web site, even?

There is some responsibility on the part of the owners to protect what is theirs.

-otto-
 #663639  by Otto Vondrak

eman577 wrote:Kendall operates occasionally, especially around Christmas. He has the on;y operating steam locomotive in VT, that I know of. A Heisler. I tried accessing their website, and could see some pictures, but all the text was replaced with a very scientific sound paragraph repeated over and over.

http://passumpsicrailroad.com
Never heard of this operation, it sounds interesting. Too bad their web site is a jumble of text.
 #745884  by baldy

Anyone have any knowledge if they will run the steam train this holiday season? Went there 2 years ago and it was worth the trip. Last year they did not run. Any info would be appreciated. Thanx...baldy
 #745909  by toolmaker

Regarding 2 years ago. A flyer was pinned to the bulletin board at the entrance to Shaws Supermarket in Littleton. However I saw it the day after the event :( I am in Scranton and won't be back in Littleton until after Christmas.
 #998460  by passumpsic1

Hello everybody just a few words on our equipment. yes we have all 3 of the AVR 44tonners and the double ended plow. I have done up a complete roster sheet with history of the equipment and disks of picsqtures of all that we have. if anybody would like one let me know. Also in 2012 we plan to get the track done. or close. any volunteer help is always welcome. and we do plan to run No.1 for Christmas if all goes well. Take care.
 #998501  by steamer69

Just to add onto what passumpsic1 said,
Work days on the railroad are every Sunday. We do offer training, and have volunteer oportunities in almost every aspect of railroading. I would invite anyone interested to check out the website at www.passumpsicrailroad.com Feel free to PM either passumpsic1 or myself and we can put you intouch with the railroad, or get you on the e-mail list for operating days and such.
 #998512  by steamer69

Yes, and I will ask. Nothing has or will be sold out of the collection. There is hope for everything there, but the rate at which we can continue the sustainment work on some parts of the collection all depends on how many "hands" we get. So far it's been a small group of very dedicated people who are there, but we are planning on restoring everything on the property at somepoint....even the tunrtable. How quick that gets done.....that's up to people who come and help.