Railroad Forums 

• Price Pkwy/Rte 110 freight tracks

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #191756  by icecubes

How come these tracks are not used anymore? I was there some time ago and part of the rail was broken. There is a lot of track layed down though.

#191816  by Sir Ray

Ah, one of my favorite sites (and one which I have walked around several times, unfortunately well after the rail action ended). Anyway, take a look around - there are no real rail customers. Most of the businesses there are discount and furniture RETAIL outlets, and use only truckload lots (if that), not car load. White Rose is now P.C. Richards (which in theory could ship appliances in from Mexico via Hi-Cubes - don't know why they don't). The tracks formed a loop as you probably saw, plus several spurs went north past where they park all the truck trailers (and were Good Ol' Roy Rogers once was - ate there many a time).
Last shipper I know of was Strober Price, which was on Rte 110 near Levitz - boxcars directly unloaded onto a platform in the rear of their facility (next to the discount fashion outlet - THAT was once a Ford Truck dealership) - Strober moved south of Conklin - what? 8 or more years ago, and that was that (I forget what type of establish is there now, on the south east corner of of Price Parkway and the branch track.
Way back, where Price Pkwy dead ends at the P.C. Richards guard booth, there are 3 or so buildings which are not retail outlets (to my knowledge, although I am not entirely certain what they are used for - one for Pets, perhaps?) which have the branch trackage running right past their front doors - it would be cool if these at least started using rail freight again.

#191939  by jayrmli

The last customer to have cars spotted there however was Amco Plastics. They took their overload there when their facility on the Central Branch was full. Quite a few times cars were moved from their spot in PW Yard to just be told "Amco can't unload them there...put them back in PW."

Notice I said "have them spotted there." I don't think they ever unloaded one car there, however.

Jay

#191955  by badneighbor

the area is visible on Google Earth, it is extensive, like Garden Secondaery, not as long, but certainly it must have been quite a scene when it first opened.

#192317  by tushykushy

White Rose.....

Since I work in the grocery retail world, my old friend who has been in the business for 44 years told me that was I think the largest dry grocery warehouse on the eastern seaboard (in it's time era). 80 trailors on 2 sides (160 slots), the office, and of course the spur that got boxcars. Since then White Rose is named something else and was split up I think 1975 due to them breaking up the union. They are located in Jersey now.... not recieving goods via rail, rather truck.

#192364  by Sir Ray

tushykushy wrote:White Rose.....
Since I work in the grocery retail world, my old friend who has been in the business for 44 years told me that was I think the largest dry grocery warehouse on the eastern seaboard (in it's time era). 80 trailors on 2 sides (160 slots), the office, and of course the spur that got boxcars. Since then White Rose is named something else and was split up I think 1975 due to them breaking up the union. They are located in Jersey now.... not recieving goods via rail, rather truck.
Well, they are located in New Jersey, and are still called White Rose:
http://www.whiterose.com/about.htm
During the 1990's, White Rose relocated all of its distribution facilities in order to better serve its retail customers. The Dairy Division was moved to Woodbridge, NJ while the Grocery and Frozen Food Divisions were relocated to new, state-of-the-art facilities in Carteret, NJ. In early 2000, the White Rose Data Center found a new home in Westbury, NY.
I think the early 1990s was when White Rose left Farmingdale, and PC Richards moved in shortly afterwards..

#192434  by tushykushy

Thanks Sir Ray for the brush up.

Like I said, my information was from a good friend of mine at work, the exact reason as to why they moved was a little unsure.

But they did NOT recieve any perrishable goods via rail at the Farmingdale site. It was all dry load.