Railroad Forums 

• Preserved/Surviving U36B

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#766459  by atsf sp

How many U36B exist still. I know of one, MCVX/CSX 7764 ex-SCL 1776 Bicentennial unit.
Any others?
 #767092  by Allen Hazen

I hope some have been preserved!
I don't think, however, that SCL's Bicentennial unit (apparently the first locomotive to be given a special paint job, inspiring many other railroads to follow suit!) has been preserved: CSX's management apparently didn't think its historical role merited it.

When SCL decided they wanted locomotive #1776 to be pained red-white-blue with special decorations, GE had already painted one in the standard black-with-yellow-trim color scheme. So a new unit was painted in the commemorative colors, and exchanged numbers with it. I think, though I'm not sure, that the ex-1776 still in existence is the ORIGINAL 1776, not the replacement that bore the Bicentennial paint.
 #767297  by MEC407

I've been wondering about this myself. Transkentucky Transportation (TTI) had several U36Bs, but I don't know if any are still in service.
 #767316  by scottychaos

Looks like TTI is still running quite a few:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 314&nseq=0

This roster:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=TTI
shows eleven U36B's on the TTI roster..not sure how many are active, but several anyway..

Probably the only place left to see them!

None listed as preserved:
http://www.thedieselshop.us/PRSVDge.HTML#UBoat4

Scot
 #769206  by MEC407

That's a U28B, not a U36B, but thanks for posting it. :-)
 #769787  by Allen Hazen

... Well... Radiator style is that of late U28B but also of the earliest U30B. The Nashville & Eastern report from "Extra 2200 South" issue # 100 (ostensibly summer 1993; photos and news items up to October 1993 included) says that U30B 5323 had been transferred to Nashville and Eastern from the Tennessee Western. Origin a mystery (most of the U30B that have graced the Nashville & Eastern's roster seem to be ex-CSX, and newer than this one): I have the impression that a fair number of ex-New York Central U30B found their way to shortlines in the late 1980s.

(Thanks for posting the link, HighlandRail/DEY-7 652: give or take the grafitti, it's a nice looking unit! Photo from February 2010: perhaps roughly the locomotive's 43rd birthday!)
 #769906  by Allen Hazen

After a bit of further browsing through old issues of "Extra 2200 South"... MEC 407 was right the first time.

(Ex?) Nashville & Eastern 5323 seems to be a U28B: in particular, it's Louisville & Nashville 2504, renumbered to CSX 5323 before "retiring" to short line service. L&N's U28B had AC/DC transmission and were either delivered at or uprated early in their careers to 3000 hp, and numbered (both on L&N and on CSX) immediately before their U30B-- so the correspondent who told "Extra 2200 South" that it was a U30B wasn't really badly wrong.

And it still looks good for a GE locomotive built in 1966.
 #774240  by railrob

Mr Hazen's report of the MCVX 7764 being the first SCL 1776 and not the red white and blue 1776 is correct. We researched its history when CSX gave it to us.