Railroad Forums 

• Pre-Amtrak, Section era Ticket Agent / Pullman accommodation question.

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1558938  by JohnP

Let's say I'm a family of 6, with 4 kids ages 8 - 14, and I want to take a trip from Chicago to San Francisco.

Using the Pullman Fares, from a 1939 C&NW Timetable (http://streamlinermemories.info/CNW/C&NW39TT.pdf) on page 62, I see that is was possible to get a "Private Section" having: one person in the Lower with the Upper unoccupied; OR two people with one in the Upper and Lower; OR there was an option of having 2 people share the Lower with the Upper being unoccupied. Based on that, my questions are:

Q1: Would it be possible to put all 4 kids in a single section, 2 in the Upper and 2 in the Lower?

Q2: (If Q1 is yes): Any idea what the rate would be? Would it be a "Private Section for two in the Lower" plus "An Upper"?

Q3: Was it possible to request side-by-side Sections? (Kids on one side, parents on the other?)

Q4: A Drawing Room had 3 beds (including the "sofa"). Was there a limit on people in a drawing room? The Fare Schedule just says "two or more people". Would it be possible to buy a Drawing Room and put the 2 adult and 4 kids in there?

Thanks,

John
 #1559223  by NS VIA FAN

Why not call VIA and pose the question to them as it may give you an idea of how Pullman might have handled it.

It's the same type of accommodation and those same questions could be asked today as VIA still sells 'Sections' on the Canadian, Ocean and Churchill trains (at least will again when Covid restrictions end) Currently only enclosed/private sleeper accommodations on the Canadian are being sold.