Railroad Forums 

• Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge's History - Connecting New England to the Nation's Freight Network

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.

#307423  by Spro

So they get almost a million dollars, and the state gave a grant to pave Havailand Road to the mid hudson bridge for better bicycle access, but I still won't be able to get to Poughkeepsie from Highland for a 6 AM job without a car, or home if I work to 7 PM.

#307439  by NJTRailfan

I know how you feel spro. I did a horrible commuting myself. But atleast it won't end up like the old CNJ lift Bridge over Newark Bay that was demolished in a "jihad" like way by the joint venture of the USCG and Toyota. Morons!

That 4 track ROW bridge could've been easily resued as a walking/bike and even light rail access to the lower end of Jersey City and linked the NCS with the HBLR.

#310826  by Dieter

IN an era where the Tappan Zee Bridge needs to be replaced, people are whining about getting from West Hudson country to the Hudson Division, the West Shore is still single tracked without passengers......

Shouldn't there be a group trying to put a light rail shuttle over that bridge from a Park & Ride on the west side to bring people over to the East for train service??? Seems to me the hardest part of the project is already in place; THE BRIDGE!

Dieter/
 #321005  by Hudson Terminus

Apparently, the guy CRAWLED most of the way, from Highland over to Poughkeepsie, and was arrested at Washington Street. Walkway's security alarm alerted police. The story is in today's Poughkeepsie Journal, also viewable on the web. No pictures of the guy out over the river, but a few near the end.

Must have been quite a view!! And scary!!!!

#321381  by CSX-Dan5377

Wait what exactly happened? I'm not getting these and are there any pics of this Bridge?

#321402  by Steve F45

is this hte abadoned bridge that crosses the hudson?

#321418  by Mark_K

He did it "because it was there". LOL
 #321608  by Bernard Rudberg

IBM was Big Blue long before Conrail came along.

Bernie Rudberg

#321714  by pablo

Did you notice the end of that article? "A small coast guard plane flew by (I'm paraphrasing) though there is no record of the flight..."

That sound odd to anyone?

Dave Becker

#322955  by glennk419

CSX-Dan5377 wrote:In every railfans eyes Conrail ment 30x then IBM did at least they are still about :(
But in the Mid Hudson Valley, IBM means a whole lot more to a lot of folks than Conrail ever did and it was most definitely the original Big Blue.
I know, I worked there. :wink:

I thought the comment from the one bystander that with all the commotion, she thought the bridge was on fire again was comical as well.
 #323245  by Charlie Monte Verde

I'm waiting for a deathbed confession by a former PC employee to striking the match.

NOTE: conspiracy theory, not accusation

#323290  by brnxvill

To Pablo

Its off topic I know but I also witnessed a small jet at about 1000 feet last Friday evening at about 6:15 roaring over lower Westchester (Tuckahoe) . I noticed it because I am aware of the sound of a jet approaching at high speed from being at many airshows. When I looked up, this craft was VERY low and at a HIGH rate of speed and then shot up ijn a verticle climb until it went out of view. Very strange and unusual.

#323360  by joshuahouse

Given the fact that a barge hit the bridge earlier this year and the at least theoretical idea that a terrorist might blow the bridge up to block the Hudson it makes some sense that a plane might be sent to see whats going on at least in my mind.

#323402  by calorosome

Stay off those bridges. Before 9/11 I crossed the DL&W girder bridge over the Chenango river in Binghamton. Damn wind nearly blew me off (no windbreakers like a truss bridge), I had to drop to my hands and knees to make it across. Last time I try that stupid stunt.