Railroad Forums 

• Poughkeepsie Coal and Water Station

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1075561  by chnhrr

I’ve looked at a few historical photographs of Poughkeepsie and haven’t been able to locate were this coal and water facility was located. It would seem that the Poughkeepsie Bridge was behind the cameraman. Judging by the topography (whole photo is not shown); it appears that this station was north of the bridge. The facility had coal burning engines for coal conveyance and possibly for water pumping. I assume this unique facility lasted till the final days of steam??
 #1076824  by Alek9997

chnhrr wrote:I’ve looked at a few historical photographs of Poughkeepsie and haven’t been able to locate were this coal and water facility was located. It would seem that the Poughkeepsie Bridge was behind the cameraman. Judging by the topography (whole photo is not shown); it appears that this station was north of the bridge. The facility had coal burning engines for coal conveyance and possibly for water pumping. I assume this unique facility lasted till the final days of steam??
Interesting steam boilers....Are they from actual locomotives that were retired?

Alek S
 #1076980  by chnhrr

Alek9997 wrote: Interesting steam boilers....Are they from actual locomotives that were retired?

Alek S
That’s and Interesting concept, but I think the boilers were in the building. Those might be some sort of induced draft fan units at the base of the flue stacks. Then again I’m not an expert in industrial flue design. The boilers could have been fabricated by Wilcox and Babcock. The usage of decommissioned steam locomotives for purposes other than hauling trains is an interesting one. Does anyone know if the NYC or New Haven engaged in this practice?