Railroad Forums 

• Potential PAR/PAS Traffic Growth

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1602894  by jaymac

Both this newly-announced site and the nearby and under-construction Amazon site at the former Simonds Saw site just to the NW on Intervale Road would seem to be, but the complications are numerous.
Maintaining the fillet-toupee operation in Mechanicville might not be a source joy for NS, and allowing more NS IM might not be a source of joy for CSXT, but we'll all get to see..

Edit Add -- Or mebbe it'll be Pike drayage as johnpbarlow suggests. The new announcement could be a sub rosa Amazon expansion, but it looks like wetlands in between as a possible barrier.
 #1603327  by markhb

How many DC's is Amazon building in Mass.? I believe they're also converting the former Showcase Cinema in Revere (right next to the US1/MA-60 circle) to that use.
 #1603334  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed at least six "Smileys" on a WB Container train during my walk this morning.

Jeff is definitely discovering the rail mode, so I would think considering the proximity of this warehouse a building to a now Class I road, he would intend to make use of such.
 #1603356  by johnpbarlow

There are 2 (and maybe 3) Amazon warehouse and “sortation” facilities in Milford MA - none of them are served by a rail siding. In fact, at the sortation center, a repurposed bottle mfg facility, the remains of a rail siding were buried under an access road.
 #1603357  by Knucklehead

markhb wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:17 pm How many DC's is Amazon building in Mass.? I believe they're also converting the former Showcase Cinema in Revere (right next to the US1/MA-60 circle) to that use.
There are two Amazon intermediate distribution (no local trucks - all over the road trucks only) warehouses in Northborough adjacent to the CSXT Fitchburg running track. There are no rail sidings and I believe the elevation difference between the line and tracks would prohibit rail access.
 #1603362  by neman2

This is going WAY off any rail topic, a "Last Mile Facility" is being built at 151 Taylor St Littleton, Ma near Interstate RT 495 ,Mass RT 2 Interchange No rail connection is practical.
 #1603380  by newpylong

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:58 pm Observed at least six "Smileys" on a WB Container train during my walk this morning.

Jeff is definitely discovering the rail mode, so I would think considering the proximity of this warehouse a building to a now Class I road, he would intend to make use of such.
CSX moves tons of Amazon containers, but they are all dropped and picked at regularly terminals. I would not expect to ever see them get direct to Dock service for anything.
 #1603400  by Gilbert B Norman

So Mr. Newpy, these warehouses being bult along the former Pan Am and apparently without rail access will add nothing to Chessie's Fancy Feast bowl. It appears she already has from Jeff what she is going to get with or without Pan Am.

I know "it's only been a month"; and I assume Chessie has her Traffic men (and women) ringing a few doorbells along Pan Am lines.

Would you know of any business Chessie has picked up along PAR since the acquisition that was not there prior to the closing? Again "I know it's only been a month".
 #1605189  by bostontrainguy

So it's probably just wishful thinking but a rare opportunity has developed in Everett for a new rail-on-dock facility. So far no plans have been made for the waterside piece of this huge project but active rails are already there. This is actually a stone's throw from where Eimskip had their original operation in Boston. Maybe another similar small ship company can be enticed here? Area is to the far right in the picture below:

More info:

https://bankerandtradesman.com/everett- ... velopment/
 #1605682  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Trainguy, those former New Haven RR shops, where passenger cars were maintained until Pat decided that work, or whatever he was still willing to do beyond his "puff and paint" ballyhoo, could be "contracted out" are located along the "T"'s and Amtrak's HSR and electrified line.

Freight traffic is simply not compatible under those conditions.
 #1605693  by bostontrainguy

It's also located next to CSX's Framingham to Readville freight line and close to the Readville rail yard. There is no physical need to interfere with Amtrak's NEC.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting