• Postwar NH Engine Assignments

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by rghammill

Hi, all.

Due to the influence of several of my buddies, I'm now working on modeling steam operations on my (still under construction) layout of New Britain, CT. The years 1947 and 1948 should be particularly interesting due to the ongoing shift from steam to diesels. From what I can tell, all of the trains were still hauled by steam in 1946.

As a result I'm trying to fill in some holes in my information regarding engine assignments on the NH. I'm also missing some assignments from '51 and '53.

I'm specifically looking for assignments from the following assignment books:
Apr: '46, '47, '48, '50, '51, '53
Sep: '46, '47, '48, '51, '53

I need the information for the following trains, not all of which ran in each period:

On the Highland -
ANE-1 (did this switch to diesel before the train was cancelled in 1949?)
EA-2
AO-3, 5
AY-2
HDX-5
NX-25
NY-2,4
OA-2,4,6
YA-1
YN-1,3
Stone Extra

Plus passenger trains:
131-136

Also, I'm trying to identify when the New Britain T-2 switchers were replaced by 44-tonners. I'm guessing this was in 1947 based on photos I have with the T-2s in '46.

In addition to these trains, I'm looking for the assignments for the Valley Local and the Air Line Local, plus the two local freights to Saybrook, typically one from Cedar Hill and one from New London, particularly in the '46-'48 period.

If anybody knows where I can purchase these assignment books (or photocopies) that's great. I'm happy to trade information that I've got as well. I also realize that the assignments were more 'guidelines' than completely accurate. In the past Noel Weaver has posted some fantastic information online regarding specific locomotive assignments from Waterbury on the Highland. I believe he sold some hand-compiled information at the NHRTHA reunion a few years ago. I'd love to know if any of this sort of information is still available to purchase.

Thanks for the help!

Randy Hammill
http://newbritainstation.com
  by Noel Weaver

I haven't posted on NHRHTA in some time and for the most part I don't even read it. They have a "YUKU" or whatever it is that cuts in every time I try to read it and it is 90 per cent models today anyway. Some people over there do not want me to post there anyway so I guess it is fine with them and with me too.
I have posted there many different times the coming of diesels to Waterbury. I have most of the actual records from Waterbury during the changeover period in 1947, 1948 and 1949.
Trains 131 and 136 were the last passenger trains through New Britain with steam power running though between Boston and Waterbury. This was because the power for these particular trains was Boston based power and steam hung on in Boston much later than in Waterbury. I don't think any steam was regularly used in the yard at New Britain as late as 1947. I might have something showing what took place there but it will require way too much research for me to do at this time.
I think the locomotive records that I have from Waterbury are probably the most extensive from any point on the New Haven during the period of transition from steam to diesel during the period.
Noel Weaver
  by rghammill

Hi, Noel -

I noticed you hadn't posted over there in a while and understand why. And yes, your posts have been a great resource, particularly in the diesel and the last steam from Waterbury in '48.

Now that I'm including steam, though, I'm trying to get road numbers of steam that were assigned in '46 and '47 on the Highland. Also, I know that the Holyoke freights switched from J-1s to S-1s or S-2s before they were replaced by RS-2s and eventually RS-3s. I'm trying to find more specifics on changes like that.

ANE-1 and EA-2 were discontinued in 1949, but based on your earlier posts, it doesn't appear they were run behind steam (an R-1) in 1948 or 1949. My guess would be an RS-2 or DL-109.

In addition, since I'm modeling these locomotives, I'm trying to narrow down to specific road numbers to work with. I don't want to have anybody spend a lot of time doing research, I'm really hoping to dig up the engine assignment books from these eras.

I wasn't able to see you when you were selling material at the reunion. Do you still have the Waterbury locomotive listings that you were selling there?

Anyway, thanks as always for all of the help. I wouldn't have nearly as much information as I do without it.