Railroad Forums 

• Postitive Traction Control

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#613447  by oleanfuzz

Hello all, I'm looking for a comprehensive list of locomotives equipped with CN's inhouse Postitive Traction Control wheelslip technology. I believe that the later GP40-2L (W) series had it but which other classes had it equipped, and if any other roads specified PTC instead of Super Series.

Thanks

and yes I did try googling for this info first.
 #636067  by CN Sparky

Wow, something I can actually help answer :)

Just about all of the 50xx-53xx's have PTC (well... had, I guess, all the early ones have been retired now..). I think the only exceptions were the 5382-5387 which would be the GF-630w's, as I believe they're using the Q-Trac still. I actually haven't seen one in a long time now to be able to say for sure... The rest of the 52xx's and 53xx's that are still running around should have PTC, so about 100 units left there...

All the 47xx's and 48xx's have PTC. So do the 75xx's and their accompanying 5xx's (boosters/slugs/whatever you want to call them).

And unless there's a few still out there missing the mod... all the CN PTC units would be using probes now, instead of axle generators.