Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by gaspeamtrak

Why is it that Via Rail last trains of the day from both Montreal & Toronto leave between 15:00 and 15:30?
On the Toronto to Windsor line There are only three trains fom Toronto to Windsor with the last departure at 17:30?
The last departure from Windsor is at 13:45 ,train #76!!!
Is Visa Rail not in the business of transporting people?
This unbelieviable
The trains that go down east to Halifax & Gaspe are cancelled on Christmas /New Years eve and day?
Years ago they used to run trains through the a lot later from Montreal, Toronto, Windsor etc. and would run the Gaspe and Halifax trains on Christmas Eve/day and New Years Eve/day/
It seems to me that Via Rail runs there trains for there own Convience, to hell with the pssengers!!!
Amtrak runs its Long haul trains right through Christmas Eve/day and New Years Eve/day. Amtrak's short haul/Corridor service is alot better than Via's service to.
What gives???
I will take Amtrak any day over Via Rail for its poor Christmas sevice...
  by NS VIA FAN

gaspeamtrak wrote:Why is it that Via Rail last trains of the day from both Montreal & Toronto leave between 15:00 and 15:30?.......
The trains that go down east to Halifax & Gaspe are cancelled on Christmas /New Years eve and day?
Years ago they used to run trains through the a lot later from Montreal, Toronto, Windsor etc. and would run the Gaspe and Halifax trains on Christmas Eve/day and New Years Eve/day/
VIA has historic ridership data that shows very few are traveling at those time so why run the trains!........ But they have added extra cars and trains when people want to travel. For example both the Ocean and Gaspe Train will be running in separate sections over the holidays and the Ocean will also be operating on Tuesdays when it normally doesn’t run
gaspeamtrak wrote: Amtrak's short haul/Corridor service is alot better than Via's service to.
In 2010, VIA carried 4.4 million passengers.......On a per capita basis (the US has about 10 times the population of Canada) to equal the density of usage VIA trains have, Amtrak would have had to carry over 44 million passengers.....or about a third more than the 28.7 million they did carry.
gaspeamtrak wrote: I will take Amtrak any day over Via Rail for its poor Christmas sevice...
Enjoy your Amtrak Trip! Merry Christmas!
  by marquisofmississauga

gaspeamtrak wrote: I will take Amtrak any day over Via Rail for its poor Christmas sevice...
For a brief moment I thought the above post was implying that Amtrak was a choice for cancelled VIA services between Toronto-Montreal, Montreal-Halifax, etc. But I get the point!

In addition to the points well made by NS VIA Fan, I point out that although the Montreal-Halifax trains are cancelled on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, they are making extra runs on Tuesdays, the day of the week when there is normally no departure from either end of the route.

Here is a convenient chart showing changes during the holiday season. The Gaspe and Halifax trains are re-numbered during the season because of slightly different timings due to running separately between Montreal and Matapedia.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/holidays2011