• NS to retain Lower Boonton line??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jonathan R McCann

Dougster wrote:Were they working on the crossing or the switch/tracks? If they were workng on the crossing, it might have been for vehicular safety not railroad operations.
The swithctracks, if it was the crossing there would've been signal maintainers.
  by blockline4180

Jonathan R McCann wrote:
Dougster wrote:Were they working on the crossing or the switch/tracks? If they were workng on the crossing, it might have been for vehicular safety not railroad operations.
The swithctracks, if it was the crossing there would've been signal maintainers.

Okay, so what are you getting at??

I doubt we will ever see trains on the Lower Boonton Line again unless a customer miraculously appears on the Orange Branch or somewhere west of WR & DB....

A Nice large Transload facility near the old Hartz facility would be nice though!!!
  by SecaucusJunction

I'd say a new online customer is this line's best chance for survival. To keep up all the miles of the line, I would think it would have to be some sort of significant traffic generator.

Anything's possible, though, in the future, especially when we see what happens with the panama canal mid-way through this decade. The more I read about it, the more I think that these railroads' existing routes are going to be flooded with containers around here.
  by SecaucusJunction

Someone on the erielack list reported that both tracks are now gone on the lower Boonton Line. Has anyone been down there to see this? Kinda sad if it is true.
  by blockline4180

I read the same thing!
I'm surprised nobody else knows about this or has commented on it!
  by JohnFPorcaro

The tracks in Kearny are gone & the tracks in Newark are very overgrown past Mt. Prospect St.
  by SecaucusJunction

Maybe NS finally got the price they were looking for to sell their ROW??
  by dano23

Rail is still there through the meadows.