• Do water tanks freeze in the northern states and Canada?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by viken

I've wanted to ask this for years and am finally taking a few minutes to do it.

How did railroads keep water tanks from freezing in the northern states & Canada?

Related questions ...

Did the water ever freeze in the tender and/or its connections to the engine? Same with the water tanks in passenger cars.

How did they do it?

Thanks!

-viken

by stilson4283

I have seen a number of pictures that have the bottom of the water tank inclosed were they would keep a fire to help stop the water from freezing.

I do not know about the tender.

Chris
  by DSteckler

Many if not all of the tank cars today are insulated. That notwithstanding, tank cars aren't used to carry water; the liquids they carry can have freezing points below 32F/0C.

Steam engines were on the move and the sloshing water didn't sit long enough to freeze.

by Steve Wagner

Water tanks in Canada typically were entirely enclosed. W. Gibson ("Gib") Kennedy had an article in Model Railroader decades ago on scratchbuilding a Canadian Pacific tank, and at least two manufacturers -- Kanamodel most recently -- have offered kits for this sort of structure.

The Delaware & Hudson's water tank at Whitehall, in northeastern New York, had just the area under the tank itself, which included piping, enclosed.

I've read somewhere that water in the tanks that supplied steam locomotives was used so fast (and replaced by other water) that it didn't have a chance to freeze.