• MBTA rail station brain-teaser

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by efin98

Ron, close but not quite. WTC is not right since I was referring to a section of the city and not a plaza. Forest Hills and Brookline hills are not what I am looking for. They don't have "hills" in their names...but doesn't mean there isn't a similar feature in the name :wink:

JFK/UMass is incorrect. Hint: shape and capital letters :wink:

Haymarket is Correct.

Charles is Correct. Although Community College could be as well(if you want to be that literal)

Revere Beach is Correct.

Hynes/ICA is Correct. The others listed had only TWO names in their incarnations(duals don't count). One still out there. It's overlooked and the more recent of the two stations.

Dudley is Correct.

Porter is Correct...was that one too easy?

by Ron Newman

Downtown Crossing? But it has had four names: Summer, Winter, Washington, Downtown Crossing.

If you're counting only individual platforms rather than whole stations, then southbound Chinatown still has had three names: Boylston, Essex, Chinatown. Northbound has had just two: Essex, Chinatown.

Similarly, the northbound and southbound Orange Line platforms at Downtown Crossing have each had three names, while the Red Line platforms have had only two.

(I'm not counting the dropping of "Under" at various stations as a name change.)

by Ron Newman

OK then ... Beachmont, Ashmont ?

by efin98

Beachmont is one, Ashmont I forgot about so extra credit for you. The other is still out there, a look at a map gives it right away.

Regarding the station names, I only count two full names for Downtown Crossing, same with Chinatown. Keep at it, a look at a history book about the T will give it up. Hint: It and the other questio you have half the answer for go hand and hand.

Still have a few more unanswered questions...

by sjd0356

1. jamaica (plain)

by efin98

sjd0356 wrote:1. jamaica (plain)
If I had said New York City then that would be true. However New York City is made up of five counties(Queens, King, Richmond, Bronx, and New York) and Jamaica is in the borough of Queens and thus Queens County so it is incorrect...Great guess though!

by octr202

I'm gonna say Orient Heights is the answer that goes with Beachmont (question #7), since Ed says they go together.

I of course want to say Forest Hills for the NY County question (#1), but I know that's out, since its not in Manhattan.

Is #5 Government Center? By capital letters I'm assuming you refer to the giant "GC" emblems on the walls?

by efin98

Actually, I meant the caps I used in the question..."WHY" as in WYE, the shape the station take. You got Orient Heights right and you got Government Center right as well! And Forest Hills I believe is in Queens County, but you are on the right track or rather right line... it's in Suffolk County but not part of the huge municipality you immediately think of :wink:

by Ron Newman

1. Chelsea

by octr202

Doh! Never thought to look for the answer on the commuter rail map!

Does Savin Hill fit the hill question too? Is it in a valley between two hills, or just next to Savin Hill itself? And is Savin Hill really that much of a hill too? Its been a while since I've been over that way, what with the Charles River being so hard to cross and everything... :wink:

by Ron Newman

Savin Hill is a substantial hill, but it's only on the east side of the station. The west side is flat.

by efin98

octr202 wrote:Doh! Never thought to look for the answer on the commuter rail map!
Come on, would I lead off with any other station? LOL of course I wouldn't! Besides, that's the fun of the brain teasers, it's not always the obvious and the more you have to look the better it is :-D
Does Savin Hill fit the hill question too? Is it in a valley between two hills, or just next to Savin Hill itself? And is Savin Hill really that much of a hill too? Its been a while since I've been over that way, what with the Charles River being so hard to cross and everything... :wink:
I consider it actually on the hill and not in a valley between hills, a look a the difference in grades between the Braintree Line and Ashmont Line shows that. Beachmont, Orient Heights, and I believe Ashmont as well are in valleys below their namesake hill...

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:1. Chelsea
You are indeed correct, it is Chelsea. It's not one of the more famous neighborhoods on Manhatten but it's there none the less.

I'll give the last one out there- it's Wood Island. Originally Day Square. Then became Wood Island Park. Now it is simply Wood Island. Three names in 53 years, alot for a simple neighborhood stop...