• SD 70 & Ditch Lights

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by LIRR272

Hello,

I'm looking to see if the SD70 locomotive delivered to NS or aquired by NS came without ditch lights or where they an add on.

Thanks
  by NSDash9

All of the NS EMD SD70's were delivered with front and rear ditch lights.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com
Also visit the NSDash9 facebook page for the latest updates.[/quote]
  by illinoistrains

How often do they even use the rear ditch lights anymore?
  by Engineer Spike

I think the rear ditch lights are.very practical. If the unit is running alone they are handy. The best part is that the unit can lead at full speed running backwards. This sometimes happens when a consist is put together, all units face the same way, and there is no place to turn one. In emergencies a unit may not be able to lead due to accident or airbrake failure enroute. If ther are no ditch lights, the unit must not exceed 20 mph over crossings.
  by illinoistrains

I can think of one incident a few years ago when a BNSF train was about to leave Phoenix and the lead unit broke down so they had to run it with the second unit as the lead . . . which happened to be a NS C40-9W facing backwards. I doubt they ran it all the way to California like this:

http://www.geocities.com/~aeromoe/9376chs.jpg