• Looking for Steam Reference, Please Help

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by mrCatfish

Hi,

I am hoping some of the members of this community can help me. I work for a CG visual effects company and we are working on a film that will heavily feature steam locomotives of the civil war era. Unfortunately I can't say anything more than that. :)

In order to create convincing CG smoke, fire and embers, we need excellent reference. We are looking for any images that show steam engines operating at night, particularly the embers/sparks from the stack, smoke behavior at night, smoke viewed from a boxcar/caboose/on top of a boxcar, etc. Any and all reference, (preferably video footage) would be much appreciated.

I actually used to work for the CNR as a brakeman back in the mid-80s, but just missed the steam era! :)

Sean
  by GSC

For the real thing, I'd suggest the movie "Emperor Of The North" (aka "Emperor Of The North Pole"), an excellent film of Depression-era hoboes constantly on the move, with steam locomotives in almost every scene. You should find what you need from that. Good luck!
  by kevin.brackney

I agree, that the Emperor of the North provides excellent visuals of steam locomotive operation; although I don't know if the 19 is a good example to stand-in for a Civil War era loco. YW 19; Baldwin, was built in 1915(?); originally Caddo & Choctaw No. 4. I would recommend Sierra RR No. 3; Rodgers, built 1891, with many Hollywood appearances (Petticoat Jct, Little House on the Prairie, and others).