• Railfanning in Kansas City, MO station area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by AC4400

I'm going to take the westbound Southwest Chief from KCY. Wondering if there are any railfaning sites around the Amtrak station area. Thanks in advance!
  by JLJ061

Santa Fe Jct. is a few blocks west of the depot, on the MO/KS border. It's a really cool spot, almost a triple-decker overpass when the Argentine Flyover was completed around 2004. Take 25th Street west where it goes under the BNSF/KCT connector track north, the junction is a few hundred feet farther west, where 25th Street curves north to become State Line Road.

AFAIK the only place to park is on the east side of the junction, as trespass signs are posted elsewhere around the junction. The east side belongs to the private companies there, but I never had any trouble when I used to go there.