• AMI roadbed versus others

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by ANDY117

ive used the AMI roadbed on our new bridge, and don't really like it. What would everyone reccomend that isn't hard to use?

by CIOR

I just use plain ole cork. I buy mine from Standard Hobby, its alot cheaper then midwest's, and its not nearly as dry as Midwest's. But its drawback is the inconsistant cut angle. I sand mine once I have it glued down though.
Some use the homabed, but I haven't tried it.

by trainiac

I use cork. Simple and cheap.

by cb&q bob

I've seen something from Woodland Scenics advertized called Track Bed. It's supposed to be compatible with cork and much longer lasting according to the adds. Does anyone have any experience with using it? I've always used cork in the past but maybe this stuff is better.

by Otto Vondrak

What didn't you like about AMI roadbed?

by WANF-11--->Chaser

I use the woodland scenics foam track bed. I like it. It goes down with a hot glue gun, easy to cut, no mold or dry rot.

by ANDY117

it's too thin. I t also doesn't look like it's mendable enough tpo put over a subroadbed.

by Camelback

I don't like the AMI product as roadbed. I do like it for streets, though. You can apply some very fine ballast to give it that rough look.

I've used cork. Next project I'm going to use the Woodland Scenics stuff. It has a lower profile than most HO cork.

by ANDY117

I was also looking into the Woodland Scenics roadbed. It's foam, so it won't dry out like cork would.

by Camelback

Woodland Scenics claims that their roadbed holds track nails as well as cork. I guess I'll let you know in a few weeks if this is true.

by Otto Vondrak

I think I prefer cork roadbed as well (only because I enjoy working with it)... but could someone tell me about the AMI roadbed? I've never used it.

-otto-

by ANDY117

Um. it's flat and sticky. You cut it with scissors, and then, you find out the stuff just stuck the blades of your mom's favorite pair of scissors together. Then, bad times follow. Lessons learned: always ask if you can use the scissors.
  by acelaman

I have been using the Woodland Scenic Track Bed for a couple of years. I have it on my layout and test track and find it very easy to use. I must admit that my only experience with cork roadbed was way back when, but since I have returned to model railroading I have used nothing but Woodland Scenics Track Bed and I dont think that I would use anything else that is out there. Good luck with your layout!