Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by bluebelly

I'm surprised none of you have noticed 3100 is no longer on the dead line in Morris Park. It's is now being used by MofE to provide HEP for cars in the Advance Yard.

by JoeLIRR

I noticed that afew weeks ago when I was at the park just neverbothered to post it.

also that nite Emfinite took the pic of 1001 #107 in new paint, witch its posted in another thread.

by DogBert

Good to hear. Reminds me a bit of when Amtrak had some NJT E60s at sunnyside just for HEP... (or was it moving those turbo trains in and out of penn? Maybe both...)

by KFRG

AFAIK, the Turbo's came equipped with DC gear.

by Legio X

Where is the Advance Yard?

by RPM2Night

I know this is not LIRR topic, but since the Amtrak Turbo was brought up...

Does anyone know which route the Turbos are used on? I never rode one and I'd like to take a trip on one of them out of Penn Station for the hell of it, maybe up to Albany or something.

by DogBert

they're stored, in DE and upstate. They send them to 'supersteel' to be rebuilt and needless to say they don't run very well. More tax money flushed down the toilet to the 'Buy NY' mindset.

The turbos had no lirr third rail, so they had to be hauled to sunnyside by electrics, though I believe they had some p32s or FL9s do some of that work as well towards the end. I forget offhand tho.

by Noel Weaver

DogBert wrote:they're stored, in DE and upstate. They send them to 'supersteel' to be rebuilt and needless to say they don't run very well. More tax money flushed down the toilet to the 'Buy NY' mindset.

The turbos had no lirr third rail, so they had to be hauled to sunnyside by electrics, though I believe they had some p32s or FL9s do some of that work as well towards the end. I forget offhand tho.
The turbo trains run quite well on the Penn Station/Long Island third rail.
When Amtrak trains were changed over from Grand Central Terminal to
Penn Station, the third rail shoes and mechs were modified to be able to
operate into Penn Station and when the turbo's were running, they ran into
Penn on the third rail. Sometimes they did have to go to Sunnyside for
service, they could just change ends on them in Penn and go right back
out.
Noel Weaver