Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by 3rdrail

by timberley

Chriskay,

Thanks for posting that photo. I was on board the Ocean Dec. 18 this past year, and also snapped a picture of the rebuilt Diner "Emerald".

It looks very nice! The rest of the Diners are currently in the process of being refurbished as well, but this is the only one done so far.

Many of the Manor sleepers (used on the Canadian) have been refurbished, and I take it are very nice. VIA is also supposed to be refurbishing some Chateau sleepers and Park cars (with new "Deluxe" accomodations), as well as the Skyline cars. I don't know if there are plans to do all of the Chateaus, but I expect it will happen in the near future. The refurbishment on these cars is definitely due, as I can attest to from recently riding in a Chateau on that same trip. Some of the Skylines are getting a little rough inside too.

Unfortunately, it looks like this may be the last winter for Budd cars on the Ocean, as VIA's reservation system currently shows all Ren consists in service for next winter (although that could change). I'm getting in two more trips this winter, heading to Montreal from Truro next Friday, then back a week later, on Budd cars both ways.
  by kmillard

3rdrail wrote:This is what "The Ocean" looked like in 1987:

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 032640.jpg

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 046898.jpg

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 529442.jpg

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... 022817.jpg

Yikes!!! And to think at the time it was considered to be a "Beautiful" train. Maybe we HAVE made some progress after all!!
  by chriskay

kmillard wrote: Yikes!!! And to think at the time it was considered to be a "Beautiful" train. Maybe we HAVE made some progress after all!!
In all fairness, travel by train was seriously out of vogue at that time. Today transcontinental trains are more of a luxury travel market and have the added cachet of being more environmentally friendly than air travel.

But I do remember those hideous blue dining car chairs, even in the early 90s prior to the refurbished equipment. I think another one of the dining cars had the same style of chair but in a bright cherry red. It was awful, but not that unusual from the era when that was newly installed, probably sometime in the mid 70s.
  by 3rdrail

There is a noticeable difference - no two ways about that ! The understated approach brings out those beautiful glass etchings better, also.
  by Beccag

I'm traveling from Montreal to Moncton (and then back again) in economy. I was wondering if the only food options are the dining car or is there a toaster/microwave available for general use?

I have a specific diet and just want to be able to plan ahead. Thanks!
  by Ken V

You can bring and consume your own food on board, but there are no meal preparation facilities (microwave, refrigerator, etc.) available for general passenger use aboard VIA trains. While the dining car can provide for various special dietary requirements, this service is only offered to Sleeper Touring class customers (with 10 days advance notice) and not for those in economy class. There is more information available on VIA's web site: http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/sp ... medication

However, you might want to contact a VIA Rail agent to see if any special arrangements can be made for your particular situation.
  by timberley

I'd say the same as Ken said, you should contact a VIA Rail agent to ask about it.

While this may not be official policy, I have seen passengers on board on several occasions have the crew member at the snack-bar/takeout counter heat something up for them in the microwave. This has generally been later in the day though, when "business" was slow. So you may be able to get it done, but I would strongly recommend you ask a VIA agent. The general policy is that you may consume your own food, but you must have it all prepared and with you.
  by NS VIA FAN

The route VIA’s Ocean uses between Moncton and Miramichi could be in trouble. This is CN’s former Intercolonial Railway line via Campbellton.

http://atlantic.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local ... lanticHome

CN’s main freight line in the Maritimes is the National Transcontinental Railway following a shorter route from Moncton to near Riviere-du-Loup. It’s fast and CTC. The Ocean could easily be accommodated on the NTR but it lacks the population of the ICR route. The NTR also hugs the US border of northern Maine through Edmundston, NB.

My take on this.......probably CN manoeuvring for some government funding to maintain the line.
  by chriskay

I'm pretty sure you're right - that this is just posturing. Didn't CN recently buy back the line from NBECR?

Though the government may be less inclined to subsidize the eastern NB route now that the Cons have their coveted majority and realize they don't need Atlantic Canada to get elected.

Time will tell, but I also agree this is just brinksmanship.
  by marquisofmississauga

If this trackage was discontinued, the (train formerly known as) Chaleur would be in worse trouble than the Ocean; it wouldn't be able to connect with the CN main line. If it was to face discontinuance due to the lack of tracks between Matapedia and Riviere-du-Loup, I wonder if VIA would care? I get the impression that VIA doesn't really want to run the train. It is very unreliable: if Mother Nature doesn't block the line with rain, snow or autumn leaves, then VIA will find an excuse to short-turn it at New Carlisle - usually when it is late. Passengers pay to see the superb scenery - the best is beyond New Carlisle - from the dome, not from a bus. I've been "bustituted" and I can assure everyone the view is better from the train.

I haven't seen any figures, but it's apparent from my experience that the passenger loads are way down on the Gaspe train. The last two trips on which I actually made it to Gaspe there was hardly anyone who rode to or from this end-point. On one trip there were six off at Gaspe and four of those were my "group." The summer consist for a several years included a dining car as well as the Skyline car and four Château sleepers. Now a diner is as much a rarity as the four sleepers. For a while, VIA discontinued all meal service in the Skyline car in the off-season, but after local pressure they restored meal service - but not the chef - in the form of reheated main courses as on the Renaissance diners. I'm told the chef's position is restored during peak seasons.
  by bitf

marquisofmississauga wrote:If this trackage was discontinued, the (train formerly known as) Chaleur would be in worse trouble than the Ocean; it wouldn't be able to connect with the CN main line. If it was to face discontinuance due to the lack of tracks between Matapedia and Riviere-du-Loup, I wonder if VIA would care? I get the impression that VIA doesn't really want to run the train. It is very unreliable: if Mother Nature doesn't block the line with rain, snow or autumn leaves, then VIA will find an excuse to short-turn it at New Carlisle - usually when it is late. Passengers pay to see the superb scenery - the best is beyond New Carlisle - from the dome, not from a bus. I've been "bustituted" and I can assure everyone the view is better from the train.
No, the tracks between Matapedia and Riviere-du-Loup are owned by CFMG, which was not bought out by CN and the Feds and the province spent a good chunk of money to upgrade the tracks. (See http://www.proximityissues.ca/Maps/RAC-2004-NB_sub.pdf) Via could either split the train at Charny (since the station is off the main line, though it would require new infrastructure) or run the trains on separate schedules.
  by NS VIA FAN

bitf wrote: No, the tracks between Matapedia and Riviere-du-Loup are owned by CFMG, which was not bought out by CN and the Feds.......... Via could either split the train at Charny (since the station is off the main line, though it would require new infrastructure) or run the trains on separate schedules.
No, the tracks between Riviere-du-Loup (St Andre Jct) through Matapedia and onto Moncton (Pacific Jct) are owned by CN. It's only the Miramichi to Moncton (Pacific Jct) section of the line that currently appears to be in trouble.

And yes the Ocean could be split in Charny then again split in Matapedia into Gaspe and Miramichi sections. The Ocean would run through Edmundston on the NTR to Moncton then onto Halifax.
  by Trainplanner

I'll be travelling on The Ocean in September 2012. Does anyone have recent experience in regard to how late The Ocean usually can be (outside of a more serious incidents)on its westbound run from Halifax to Drummondville. Many thanks Graeme from Melbourne Australia.
  by NS VIA FAN

Trainplanner wrote:I'll be travelling on The Ocean in September 2012. Does anyone have recent experience in regard to how late The Ocean usually can be (outside of a more serious incidents)on its westbound run from Halifax to Drummondville. Many thanks Graeme from Melbourne Australia.
The Ocean generally runs on time. What will delay it are the 2 or 3 stops required at a single station to position cars when it is running combined with the Gaspe train. This usually occurs during the summer months (July & August) when the train can be quite long.

Also during the winter, weather can have an effect on the schedule.

So in September you should be OK but still allow for unforeseen circumstances.