• NEW Bay Window Caboose for FGLK!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

FGLK 2308 & 2303 & NEW Caboose CSX (EX CR) its eaither 21208 or 21028 Aurelius, NY 9/9/2001 trained filmed at 2:30p.m. West Bound 15 cars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJGY3zIAt44

FGLK 2308 & 2303 Cayuga, NY 9/9/11 2:45P.M.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgQAsOe4UrU

FGLK 2308 & 2303 Seneca Falls, NY 9/9/11 3:15P.M.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DEb4gDxU6w

edit 9/9/11 10:27p.m. I may have the cab number posted wrong it might be 21208 or 21028 number was hard to read I'm trying to review the number on video but its not easy with all the graffiti. SORRY
Last edited by scharnhorst on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Matt Langworthy

Excellent videos! When did FGLK get the caboose?
  by scottychaos

Very cool! :)
Some quick googling shows 21208 is:

Conrail N-21 Class
113 cars 21201-21313 bought new by Conrail in 1978.
Only cabooses bought new by Conrail, welded small bay window design built by Fruit Growers Express in Alexandria, VA. Cars have a rigid underframe, axle-mounted generator and oil heat.
http://crcaboose.railfan.net/classes/N-21.htm

One of the last cabooses built!

Scot
  by scharnhorst

Cab has roller bearings under her I wonder if they plan to paint this one in mint green and convert it to an R/C unit like they did with that EX C&O/ GWI Cab one in Geneva?

I had head about FGLK looking for a 4th caboose back about 3 or 4 months ago when I was at Lake City Hobby in Geneva but as is was not going to post anything as I did not know weather to take this as a fact or just hear say.

I guess I was just lucky that I decided to go to Seneca Falls to cash my check I had no real intent on looking for Finger Lakes today with the credit union closing in 2 hours but the blue car caught my eye and I decided to investigate it.

I may have that cab number wrong it may have been either 21208 or 21028 its vary hard to read even when I saw it for 20 feet away all that graffiti makes the number hard to read on both sides.
Last edited by scharnhorst on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by lvrr325

Boy, I need to check my books, but that number rings a bell, possibly one of the cabooses that was assigned to Geneva in 1992 for the WAGY-14 and WAGY-15 locals. One of those cabooses came out of Pennsylvania and had an assignment stencil that got painted over with a black square below the bay, of course who knows if that's visible with the graffitti.

I suppose it makes sense if the cab went back to Rochester somewhere in 1995, and just never left.
  by scharnhorst

CAB NUMBER is 21208 I had to do a lot of freeze framing and watched my first movie about 8 times but to make sure that I had the number posted.
  by roadster

I believe it was one of the relics used by CSX Rochester crews when performing shove moves. They have had 2 of these and an old transfer caboose sitting Out of Service, by the old engine house in Rochester for the past 3 years waiting disposition. I was told that they were crippled because the flooring had rotted and was unsafe for crews to use. Looks like Finger Lakes purchased 1. They had been gutted of internal appliances when we used them in Rochester and were basicly glorified shoving platforms. But still had the heaters for winter operations. Glad to see it's got a future somewhere.
  by scharnhorst

It would not surprise me if this was turned into another R/C Platform for FGLK It looked like it was in good shape out side the windows were all covered with white paper on the inside on both sides and ends of the Cab.
  by sd80mac

scharnhorst wrote:I had head about FGLK looking for a 4th caboose back about 3 or 4 months ago when I was at Lake City Hobby in Geneva

where did the store moved to??? last time I was in geneva, it wasnt there...
  by roadster

NE Corner store at intersection of Exchange St.and Castle st.(basicly downtown on RT 14 where it turns and heads West for a couple blocks)
  by scharnhorst

sd80mac wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:I had head about FGLK looking for a 4th caboose back about 3 or 4 months ago when I was at Lake City Hobby in Geneva

where did the store moved to??? last time I was in geneva, it wasnt there...
big Yellow building with Red trim on the corner of Castle and Exchange Street. Open 10-5 Monday, Closed Tuesday, Wendsday 10-5, 10-8 Thursday, 10-5 Friday & Saturday, Closed Sunday.
  by scharnhorst

CPSD40-2 wrote:Interesting that this caboose is now sitting on a small section of track to the south of the FGLK main in Manchester.

Check it out:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii31 ... 25_216.jpg

Maybe placed there because there's a sandblasting company across the track? I'm stumped.

The cab don't even look like its even on any track was it moved of the rails??
  by roadster

Now I get it. A friend of mine and fellow CSX employee had been working with the Historical Society in Manchester to get one of the derelict CSX cabooses from Rochester for more than 3 years. Seems they were successful.
  by CPSD40-2

Manchester is quite the gathering spot for old rolling stock. The remaining LV boxcars, the 2 CR cabooses in the field ( soon to be flea market ) at the corner of 96 & 21, and now this one.