• Augusta Branch

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by mec 381

Pan Am finally made a run to Augusta today, 7-29-11. MEC 312 lead three covered hoppers of feed for Blue Seal. As far as I know this has been the only run to Augusta this week, but there were two runs last week.
  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:If you're talking about the Madison branch the tracks were still in when they were reactivated.
Didn't they have to relay some portion they had ripped out towards North Anson?
  by B&Mguy

I was in Augusta, ME the other day, and noticed that the tracks that once ran through the downtown, had been removed, and the right of way is now being used for parking. I looked in the 2010 edition of "Lost Railroads of New England", and this segment was not listed as abandoned. Can anyone give more information as to when this line was abandoned, and the tracks taken up? Also, is it still possible to get from Waterville to Portland by rail?
  by markhb

Waterville-Portland is served by the MEC Back Road that goes through Oakland, Belgrade and Lewiston.

Others may certainly correct me, but I don't believe the Lower Road through downtown Augusta is officially abandoned, but it is state-owned with no active operator (MERR has the operating rights but I think it's dormant). PAR owns and operates the section from Waterville to (probably) the east end of the Kennebec River bridge, the state owns (I think) the bridge and everything west of it to Rock Junction in Brunswick.
  by b&m 1566

The tracks are not removed they are only covered. The city has an agreement with the state to use the ROW as a parking lot. If that part of the line becomes active again the city has an X among of time to pack up and move out (in this case remove the dirt to expose the tracks).
  by gokeefe

B&Mguy wrote:I was in Augusta, ME the other day, and noticed that the tracks that once ran through the downtown, had been removed, and the right of way is now being used for parking. I looked in the 2010 edition of "Lost Railroads of New England", and this segment was not listed as abandoned. Can anyone give more information as to when this line was abandoned, and the tracks taken up? Also, is it still possible to get from Waterville to Portland by rail?
As mentioned by others the tracks have not been taken up. They've been covered with dirt and gravel for use by the Augusta Parking District.

No, you cannot travel by rail from Waterville to Portland. That probably won't change anytime with the next 10 years either.
  by markhb

gokeefe wrote:
B&Mguy wrote:I was in Augusta, ME the other day, and noticed that the tracks that once ran through the downtown, had been removed, and the right of way is now being used for parking. I looked in the 2010 edition of "Lost Railroads of New England", and this segment was not listed as abandoned. Can anyone give more information as to when this line was abandoned, and the tracks taken up? Also, is it still possible to get from Waterville to Portland by rail?
As mentioned by others the tracks have not been taken up. They've been covered with dirt and gravel for use by the Augusta Parking District.

No, you cannot travel by rail from Waterville to Portland. That probably won't change anytime with the next 10 years either.
So far as the last point goes, B&Mguy, I think gokeefe and I answered two different interpretations of your "is it still possible to get from Waterville to Portland by rail" question. His point was that it's not possible to purchase a ticket between those cities -- or to anywhere from Waterville -- as there is no passenger service north of Portland. My answer (since your "still" didn't seem to be referring to continuance of the long-gone passenger service) referred to the fact that freight trains travel the WAPO route over the former Back Road frequently. So yes, it is possible to get from Waterville to Portland by rail, but it helps if you're actually a giant roll of freshly-made paper. :-)