• Waterbury Yard Switchers-Steam to Diesel?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Ruzbasan

Waterbury , CT had at least three switchers for many years. I have seen a picture from 1938 showing a T-2b 0-6-0 (#2456) in the High Yard.

Does anyone know the exact year when the New Haven stopped using T-2b steam switchers in Waterbury and began using DEY-3 Alco S-1 diesels as yard switchers in Waterbury?
  by Ruzbasan

The first RS-1's (DERS-1) arrived in Waterbury in 1947. But since the DERS-1's were road switchers and not yard switchers my question remains unanswered.

There are some facts that can provide clues. We know the DEY-3's did eventually replace the T-2b's in Waterbury at some unknown date before 1948. The S-1's (DEY-3) arrived on the New Haven in 1941. The Naugatuck Line/Waterbury Freight Terminal were the first sections of the New Haven to make the transition from steam to diesel. The last photo I have of a T-2b in Waterbury is dated 1938 and shows #2456 taking on water at the Waterbury Station. The earliest photo I have of a DEY-3 on the Naugatuck Line is dated 1942 and shows #0956 as the Ansonia Switcher.

Since the Ansonia Switcher was dispatched out of Waterbury, my best guess would be the DEY-3's replaced steam switchers in Waterbury sometime between the years 1941-1942. Does that sound correct?

Does anyone have engine assignment books from 1941+1942 that can verify if my guess is correct? Perhaps Noel Weaver could shed some light on this?
  by Noel Weaver

I'll try to pull the Waterbury records when I get some time to do so but here is some light.
The yard jobs were diesel operated by the mid 40's except for occasions when an 0-6-0 would be substituted on one of the jobs or on an extra job which ran from time to time. I don't have all of the records but I have at least a fair number of them and will go further on this when I have had time to pull the books out.
Noel Weaver
  by TCurtin

Ruzbasan wrote:The first RS-1's (DERS-1) arrived in Waterbury in 1947.
Not that early -- it was April (maybe as early as March) 1948
  by Noel Weaver

I have engine house records from Waterbury for 1947, 1948 and at least 1949. By this period the yard switchers in Waterbury were normally diesel with at least two jobs around the clock and additional jobs were operated as extra switchers as needed. I have log books that show various 0-6-0 locomotives (2310, 2378 and 2391 were three that were listed in these books) as used on extra switchers and occasionally on regular switchers as needed. In the years 1940-1945 many Alco/GE S-1's were delivered and it is reasonable to expect that new S-1's were assigned to Waterbury sometime during the early 1940's as Waterbury was a very important 24/7 operation at the time and that was where the diesel switchers saved the railroad a lot of operating costs. I don't know for sure whether there were two or three S-1's assigned to Waterbury during the mid 40's. Derby was also a 24 hour yard operation and thus had a diesel relatively early in the diesel period.
When the roundhouse in Waterbury was closed in the summer of 1958, I saved as many of the old steam records as I was able to locate at the time and this probably represents the best existing collection of documents relative to the changing from steam to diesel operations. Of course I wish there were more such documents and for more areas as well but I am not aware of any.
Noel Weaver
  by Ruzbasan

Noel,

Thank you for your very informative reply. That is exactly the information I was looking for.