• August 19th REMEMBER THE DATE

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Noel Weaver

August 19, 1955 was the date of the worst floods in a long time in New England and some other parts of the northeast. On the New Have Railroad there was much damage especially between Derby and Winsted, The Berkshire, The Canal north of Plainville and in the Putnam and other areas of Eastern Connecticut. The bridge just west of Putnam was badly damaged enough that the railroad elected not to rebuild and as a result the through line between Hartford and Boston was severed. At the time of the flood the line had three round trips between Hartford and Boston two of which originated and terminated at Waterbury. It also was the route of the East Wind between New York and Portland, Maine which ran via New Haven, Hartford, Willimantic, Putnam and Worcester on the New Haven. The Naugy also lost several bridgs the biggest one of which carried four tracks at Waterbury and included SS-202 (Bank Street Junction) and a signal bridge on the Naugatuck River Bridge.
I was hobbling around using a cane at the time still recovering from a serious skiing injury in March of 1955 and I remember that Friday morning very well. We had no electricity but when we found that we had no water either then we knew it was pretty serious. My father drove us down to a place where we could see the river from high ground and the Naugatuck River looked more like the Mississippi River at the tme. We saw all sorts of debris flowing down with the flood waters and even a couple of freight cars (boxcars in this case) were also seen floating down the river. I never ever saw anything like this and I hope I never again see anything like it either.
As to the New Haven Railroad the line to Derby, Devon and beyond was out for months as a through route, they built a wooden trestle as a temporary means to get across the river at the west (timetable direction) end of the Waterbury Yard and to allow access to the enginehouse as well as considerable freight sidings in that area. They reached Waterbury from Berlin via Plainville a week or two after the flood and so we had some freight operations as well as a couple of passenger trains during the week to Hartford but no service to Winsted, Bridgeport or to Boston beyond Hartford. The last train to make it through out of Waterbury was the Winsted - Bridgeport train 465 which left Waterbury around 10:00 PM on Thursday, August 18, 1955. The last train in was a Budd Car from Bridgeport which arrived about the same time. There was another train that left later that Thursday evening, a special, it seems that there was a movie premier that took place that Thursday in Waterbury at the State Theater in the all day pouring rain which included a bunch of movie stars and other big wheels and they departed Waterbury close to midnight that night on a special train powered by an RS-3 and which included a couple of stainless steel coaches and the observation car Bunker Hill properly pointed on the rear. I don't know just how far this special train got but eventually it had to return to Waterbury because of flooding and the equipment spent considerable time at the passenger yard next to the engine house in Waterbury until the temporary wooden trestle was put in to use at Bank Street. As I mentioned earlier SS-202 (Bank Street Junction Tower) was a casualty of this, a four track bridge that was washed out was replaced by a two track bridge, one for the remaining main track and the other for a yard track from the yard to the enginehouse which also connected to the Dublin Street Branch and to the spur up to the Connecticut Lumber on the old line to Danbury.
Most of the freight business recovered for a period but the passenger service to Bridgeport and New York was not resumed until the following February and then with no more through trains and a reduced number of round trips to Bridgeport where the pasengers had to change trains just like they have to today.
As long as I am still around I will never let this date pass without notice, I used to post this on the NHRHTA site as well but for sometime now I have refuse to post anything more there and I will not post this there either.
More floods hit Connecticut again later in 1955 but that is another story for another time.
Noel Weaver
  by Noel Weaver

In so far as the Naugatuck Valley was concerned, it was all downhill from August, 1955. Trackage was reduced, the Hartford Maybook through freights via Waterbury came off just before the floods, no more service to Boston, eventually the passenger service out of Waterbury was reduced to four round trips to Bridgeport all with Budd Cars, no more trains to Winsted after December, 1958 and Hartford after January, 1960. Operations were reduced as industries closed or moved away and freight business was lost for good. No more railroad to Winsted after 1963, the last trick switcher in Waterbury came off in 1958 making it a two shift operation from then on, the enginehouse in Waterbury closed in he summer of 1958 (i got some nice goodies from there when this happened), The Derby Switcher was reduced from an around the clock operation down to two shifts and eventually one shift before going the way of the Dodo Bird. Penn Central took over in 1969 but I can't in fairness blame them for the cuts that took place under their operation, the freight business was simply drying up so fast it would scare you.
Today it is very difficult to imagine what the railroad operations in and around Waterbury in the past armounted to but believe me they were something to behold. I have lots of records out of the Waterbury of the past to prove this too.
Noel Weaver
  by Kilgore Trout

It's unfortunate that the NH had this hit right as business was starting to nosedive, but one very good thing did come out of all this - all the flood protection, especially up the Naugatuck Valley, that will more or less prevent disasters like this from happening again.
  by Noel Weaver

Kilgore Trout wrote:It's unfortunate that the NH had this hit right as business was starting to nosedive, but one very good thing did come out of all this - all the flood protection, especially up the Naugatuck Valley, that will more or less prevent disasters like this from happening again.
Very true. I seem to think that some of the flood control proposals were in the works before August 19, 1955 but certainally the floods were pretty much responsible for more than just talk which was all there was before that date.
Noel Weaver
  by chrisnewhaven

Lets hope that flood control works, looks like were going to need it for upcoming Hurricane Irene.
C.J.V.
  by TCurtin

Noel, thanks for the greal recollections.

A couple more remarks:

- I have had an idea for years that the railroad was only too happy to let Hartford-Boston go out of service. Frankly, the damage to the Quinebaug bridge at Putnam wasn't that bad. A single center pier washed out and could have been restored. But the freights AB-2/BA-1 had come off a one or two of years earlier; the Hartford-Boston passenger runs were lightly patronized single Budd Car "plug runs" that the railroad knew they wouldn't miss, the the local freight traffic could have been served (and was for a long time after) from either end.

- As you commented there was indeed a second flood later that year --- October 14-15. It was not a hurricane, but a very heavy rain -- something like 11 inches over 1 1/2 or 2 days. The worst was centered around Danbury. Part of Downtown Danbury was under water from the Still River. The railroad to Norwalk had a number of washouts, and all seven bridges where it crossed the Norwalk River in 11 miles were damaged. The line was out for something like a month, I don't recall exactly when it went back. Other bridges were washed out too --- one on the New Canaan Branch at Springdale where the East Branch of the Rippowam River goes under the RR, and one on the main just west of Noroton heights where the same river goes under the main. I think I remember that one as well as you remember Waterbury on August 19 !!
  by ExCon90

In view of the extensive preparations for Irene, I'm wondering whether anyone recalls how much advance notice there was of the 1955 hurricane? Given the sophisticated forecasting techniques in use today, it seems to me that with a lot less information (widespread temperature and precipitation readings, computer forecasting) back then, a hurricane of that magnitude might not have been recognized as such until it was almost there. How much preparation time did the authorities and the railroads have?
  by TCurtin

The difficult thing about Diane what that --- believe it or not --- it wasn't of all that much magnitude by the usual measurements. What it did was track up the east coast much as Irenee did then it took an abrupt right turn and ran east up Long Island Sound. What caused the horrible floods was that there were three small pockets of extremely heavy rain that formed up around the CT-MA border, right around where the headwaters of the Mad, Naugatuck. Farmington, Shepaug, and Quinebaug rivers are. Those particular spots experienced a monstrous deluge of something like 17 inches if rain --- and THAT'S what precipitated the flood.
  by Tommy Meehan

How did the Shore Line -- especially west of New Haven and Stamford -- fare in August 1955? Service was suspended by Irene for about fifty-two hours, I am curious if that is the longest weather-related shutdown on that part of the NH line.

One tiny bit I can add, several years ago I was at the Stamford Library and read some of the news stories in the local paper beginning on the 19th. I recall the Stamford agent telling the (was it The Advocate?) that the early morning Stamford locals ran. But by 11:00 AM or so it had gotten so bad the railroad was shutting service down.
  by Ridgefielder

Tommy Meehan wrote:How did the Shore Line -- especially west of New Haven and Stamford -- fare in August 1955? Service was suspended by Irene for about fifty-two hours, I am curious if that is the longest weather-related shutdown on that part of the NH line.
Didn't the 1938 storm knock the Shore Line out for 3+ weeks?
  by Tommy Meehan

Ridgefielder wrote:Didn't the 1938 storm knock the Shore Line out for 3+ weeks?
I am only asking about the electrified portion west of New Haven and, especially, west of Stamford.

Earlier in this thread it is revealed the '55 storm knocked out parts of the New Haven permanently.
  by Noel Weaver

Tommy Meehan wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote:Didn't the 1938 storm knock the Shore Line out for 3+ weeks?
I am only asking about the electrified portion west of New Haven and, especially, west of Stamford.

Earlier in this thread it is revealed the '55 storm knocked out parts of the New Haven permanently.
I am not positive about this but it seems to me that the New Haven suffered a rather severe washout between Stamford and South Norwalk in the October, 1955 flood. I might have something on this here somewhere.
Noel Weaver
  by Tommy Meehan

Noel Weaver wrote:I am not positive about this but it seems to me that the New Haven suffered a rather severe washout between Stamford and South Norwalk in the October, 1955 flood. I might have something on this here somewhere.
Thanks Noel I'd like to hear about that.

Btw, according to news stories in the New York Times on microfilm, New Haven Railroad service between Boston and New York was suspended on the morning of the 19th and resumed the following morning after about 24 hours. Service was said to be "spotty" but trains were running.
  by TCurtin

Noel Weaver wrote: I am not positive about this but it seems to me that the New Haven suffered a rather severe washout between Stamford and South Norwalk in the October, 1955 flood. I might have something on this here somewhere.
Noel Weaver
Noel, you're right about that. See my post dated 8/29, above, which mentions that. It was between Glenbrook and Noroton Hts, basically in back of where the I-95 service area is today.