• Forgotten Railroads Through Westchester County

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by FullParallel

I just recieved a copy of the new Westchester book today. It was a gift from my Father. He had looked through it & immediately knew I would enjoy it. He was right! I dont usually post much om here, but I really wanted to congratulate Otto & Mr Bang for their work, as well as any others on here who were involved in preparing the book. I have not read through the book fully, just read photo captions etc. The photo on page 2 at Briarcliff Manor by Frank Schlegel blew me away! According to Dad, I had met Frank as a small kid when my father was active in the restoration shop at the Branford Trolley Museum in the 70's. I know that Frank took some amazing traction photo's and movies, but never knew the amazing shots he took along the Put. I think Dad may have mentioned he was interested in the Putnam Division, but I never gave it much thought. I had never seen any of his photo's until now. I only wish I had been a little older & could talk more with Frank. Being a Bronx kid (Kingsbridge & Woodlwan area) my Mother used to take my brother & I to Van Cortland Park during the summer to get us out of her hair. My first stop was always the old station canopy in the park. I had always wondered what that area looked like in its heyday..now I know! Sorry for my rambling...GREAT book Otto, you should be proud of your work!!!! Please pass along the same to Mr. Bang & the rest of the crew. Seeing a book of this quality make me want to ask about another Westchester railway I would love to see a book on....the Third Avenue Railway....That one I could & would volunteer to help with!!!!

Steve Loitsch

by Otto Vondrak

Steve, I'm glad you are enjoying the book, it was a labor of love for me and everyone else involved. I finally got to produce a railroad book about Westchester! A dream come true for me. Now if only I could feature the Harlem Div. and Katonah...

The Frank Schlegel stuff is gold. I was fortunate that my friend was able to purchase what he did over the years and make it available to us.

http://nywbry.com/forgotten/

-otto-

by Noel Weaver

I remember Frank Schlegal from my Branford days too. I recall when I
was working trains 22 and 399 between New York and New Haven as a
fireman, Frank expressed an interest in a cab ride between New Haven
and New York so I talked to my engineer who was a really good guy and
friend as well and we gave Frank a ride on 399 to New York. He enjoyed
the ride and he also knew that I wanted a copy of his NYW&B movies.
He made me a copy which I still have and in addition I put that on a tape
so I could look at it much easier than trying to make my old projector
work.
Frank was one of the better photographers around and he had the wisdom
to photograph all of the old stuff that we still like, at least a lot of us do.
Noel Weaver

by John P.

I'm still waiting on the copy I ordered last month to arrive. Can't wait to see it!

by FullParallel

Hi Noel,
What timeframe were you active up at the musuem? Nice to meet another member on here.

Steve Loitsch

by Noel Weaver

FullParallel wrote:Hi Noel,
What timeframe were you active up at the musuem? Nice to meet another member on here.

Steve Loitsch
Mostly the 1960's and early 1970's. I worked with Bill Riccitelli on many
different trips and helped out with week day operations when they were
relatively new to the museum.
It wasn't too hard when I had regular firing jobs but after I got set up to
engineer and ended up on various spare boards it became dilfficult and I
had to back off.
Last time I was at the museum was a weekday in 2005 when an old and
long time friend Carl Grimm was running the car (357) and also bought
some books from another long time member Karen Riccitelli at the
Sprague Building.
I also had supper at a seafood place in Monauguin but the name doesn't
come back to me at this moment.
I first joined BERA in 1958 as my parents would not allow me to join so I
had to wait until I was 21 to join up. I did not get there very often on
weekends after I went firing in 1960. This year marks 50 years in BERA.
Noel Weaver
  by FullParallel

Noel,

I remember Bill Riccitell, I was one of the your kids hanging around the place during the mid to late 70's when Dad (Bob Loitsch) was pretty active up there. Yep Karen is still there. You know there arent too many 50 year members left up there, I am friends with a few long time members (not sure if they have passed 50 yet but think so), Bill Ketterer and Art Merrill come to mind.

Take it easy
Steve

by Otto Vondrak

Steve, you may want to contact Noel via PM or email to continue your conversation regarding BERA. Thanks!

John P- sorry for the delay, where did you order from? Chalk it up to holiday rush.

-otto-

by John P.

Otto Vondrak wrote:Steve, you may want to contact Noel via PM or email to continue your conversation regarding BERA. Thanks!

John P- sorry for the delay, where did you order from? Chalk it up to holiday rush.

-otto-
Otto-
Thanks so much, as the book arrived from Ron's and I'm having a hard time putting it down. Love all the great color pictures I never knew existed! Takes me back to when I was a boy watching the freight movements through Mahopac with my Dad throughout the 1960s. Looking forward to the NYW&B chapter of which my Great Grandfather was a telegraph operator for.

by Otto Vondrak

To document errata and omissions in the book, I have posted a page that you can easily print out and keep with your copy. Further corrections are welcomed!

http://www.nywbry.com/forgotten/errata.htm

by John P.

Finished the last chapter today! Flew through the rest of the book but stumbled on the last chapter, having trouble identifying with a lot of it. Great book and terrific photos! If an update is ever written it would be great to see a chapter on the Lake Mahopac Branch out of Golden's Bridge. I am trying to gather information up on the branch to try an O-Scale model of it.

by Otto Vondrak

John P. wrote: If an update is ever written it would be great to see a chapter on the Lake Mahopac Branch out of Golden's Bridge. I am trying to gather information up on the branch to try an O-Scale model of it.
I wanted to write about this branch, but it's technically part of the Harlem Division, and a friend of mine is publishing a Harlem book in the next couple of years, so I didnt want to take anything away from that. Besides, this would have been a 300 page book if we put in EVERYTHING! I did author an article in Railroad Model Craftsman where I discussed building an HO scale layout that represented the "around the horn" operation from Katonah to Golden's Bridge, up the branch to Lake Mahopac, around the Put to Brewster, and south again on the Harlem. Check it out: July 2001 RMC (back copies are available from Carstens).

-otto-

by John P.

Otto Vondrak wrote: I wanted to write about this branch, but it's technically part of the Harlem Division, and a friend of mine is publishing a Harlem book in the next couple of years, so I didnt want to take anything away from that. Besides, this would have been a 300 page book if we put in EVERYTHING! I did author an article in Railroad Model Craftsman where I discussed building an HO scale layout that represented the "around the horn" operation from Katonah to Golden's Bridge, up the branch to Lake Mahopac, around the Put to Brewster, and south again on the Harlem. Check it out: July 2001 RMC (back copies are available from Carstens).

-otto-
Yes I remember the article, we discussed it through email a little over a year ago and it took 6 weeks for the magazine to send the back issue.
  by Earle Baldwin

Even though it's been quite awhile since a post has been made to this thread, I felt compelled to resurrect it. I recently purchased a copy of the book and just finished reading it. I've read many railroad books over the years and it is, without a doubt, one of the most enjoyable titles I've ever had the privilege to peruse. While I'm very interested in each of the topics presented within its pages, I'm particularly fascinated by the Putnam Division and the chapter covering the Put is pure gold. The inclusion of color photographs is spectacular.

I would like to express my appreciation to Messrs. Bang, Vondrak and everyone else involved with the project for taking the time to produce such a wonderful work for the rail enthusiast community.
  by pbass

re. john p: would like to know about your great grandfather's NYWB career. I started my railroad career at Penn Central as a Telegrapher/ Leverman. I have something in common with the man.