Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by F40CFan

Interesting, so they're going to use the F40Cs as guinea pigs. At least they are getting out of the 645-only mode. I hope they don't alter the exterior of the locomotives when they do that, unless they put them back the way they originally were.

Saw what looked like 132 and 140 (I was on a moving train and only got a glimpse) at Western Ave. They were coupled together and looked fresh, like they had been recently rebuilt. I think they were gone this morning, as I didn't see them.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

The MoPos are not even ten years old. Rebuilding them already seems like a waste of resources and Metra will end up with small groups of non standard locomotives. I don't think the genset concept is well suited to mainline road locomotives or passenger operations, either.

The F40C 710ECO rebuild only makes sense as the basis to order new 710 powered locomotives, its kind of late to be thinking about 710 rebuilds for the F40PH when they are already working on a major rebuild program using 645 engines. Just give the F40Cs the standard Progress rebuild, or I think its time to retire them.
  by EJ&ESDM809

Metra 147 is back from rebuild and was part of a doubleheader yesterday on the UP-W. Unfortunately, 147 lost its Operation Livesaver paint in favor of a standard Metra paint job when it was rebuilt.
  by F40CFan

143 is sitting at Western Ave. Looks like it was freshly rebuilt. Its facing the "wrong way" and its nose is coupled to a flat car. Farther east on the same track is a flat car with what looks like 2 F40PH fuel tanks.
  by MetraMDW211

Loco 211 is back on the Milwaukee lines! It was pulling 2243 the 546 pm elgin outbound train tonight
  by busfan2847

130 and 135 are back in service on Union Pacific services. I have not seen 210 this year on union Pacific services.
  by doepack

busfan2847 wrote:130 and 135 are back in service on Union Pacific services. I have not seen 210 this year on union Pacific services.
Maybe it got homesick, and went back to the Burlington?
  by UKrailfan

I am currently preparing for a visit to Chicago in early May. Can anybody confirm that Metra F40PH-2's 180 and 184 are still allocated to working the Rock Island District. Thank you.
  by metraRI

UKrailfan wrote:I am currently preparing for a visit to Chicago in early May. Can anybody confirm that Metra F40PH-2's 180 and 184 are still allocated to working the Rock Island District. Thank you.
Yes, 180 and 184 are still assigned to RI.
  by UKrailfan

Thank you for the information. I would appreciate it if you could keep an eye on these two and post if there is any change in allocation. I will be leaving the UK on the 3rd May for New York and Boston before arriving in Chicago on the 9th May so info posted up to 2nd May can be easily accessed.
  by Illinifan

The 119 moved over to the Milwaukee District sometime on Friday (2/10). I had seen the unit at OTC on Thursday (2/9). Today (2/11), I spotted it in Fox Lake, the lead unit of a doubleheader (coupled to the 101).
  by MetraMDW211

Loco 212 is on the milwaukee district lines. Tonight Loco 212 is pulling out NORTH CENTRAL SERVICE (NCS) train 113 the 5:01 to Antioch. Also makes a flip for inbound 120 and outbound 121 the 830 out of CUS.